PDA

View Full Version : Kerr 5/13

shemstreet
05-14-2006, 05:54 AM
Dad and I left out of Flemington ramps about 0830 yesterday. Must have been another tournament, as parking lot was full.

Headed across the lake to the WMA peninsula and started fishing in the cove south of the old trestle bridge someone on Kerr's site had told us about. Spent about 3 hours there drifting shrimp, nightcrawlers, and cut bait. Picked up two keeper channel cats (2-3 lb), two throw back cats, two throwback yellow bullhead, three keeper perch.

Headed south wind the bite stopped and did not catch anything. Headed back across the lake and finished up drifting a cove over there. Caught a keeper blue cat and a keeper bass.

Most fish caught on shrimp on the bottom. Simple rig, egg sinker, swivel, and circle hook with spinner seems to be working best. Considering how many we lose during a day, a cheap rig as well.

I think most of the tournaments are Saturdays, as Sunday is usually quieter at the ramps.

Wind was calm to ok most of the day, had an hours of stronger winds around noon, but thankfully it gave up later

Topsail Angler
05-14-2006, 07:44 AM
Sounds like you had a productive and FUN day. Thanks for the detailed information!

Dave B.
05-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Man, sounds like fun. i gotta ask though.. using fresh or saltwater shrimp??

shemstreet
05-16-2006, 05:53 AM
Just plain old frozen shrimp from Kroger, about 1/2 of a shrimp (31-40's), although if you can find smaller ones, I'm sure a whole shrimp might look more like something they are used to eating.

The spinner blade on the snelled hook seems to make the whole thing more attractive, works without it, but gets more hits on the drift with the blade.

Always used shrimp from craoker and cats on the Potomac, was pleasantly surprised to see it worked on Kerr. Shocked to see Dad catch a total of 3 bass over 4lbs with it in two trips, maybe they think it is a crawfish.

We've given up on Falls due to all the traffic at the ramps on weekends, but I imagine the same trick will work on Jordan, Kerr is just a bit closer for us.