PDA

View Full Version : Roscoe Video

Topsail Angler
01-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Check out the new jigging video featuring the Bluewater Candy Roscoe Jig:

TackleMonkey.tv - Blue Water Candy Lures - Roscoe Jig (http://www.tacklemonkey.tv/media/117/Blue_Water_Candy_Lures_-_Roscoe_Jig/)

It was filmed and produced by Randy Durham, owner of this website as well as Credence Pictures. Randy does phenomenal work as you can see in the video.

cfarmd
01-13-2010, 09:39 PM
how far offshore do you have to go to get to 280ft? I'm thinking 30+
I think his sonar said 269 or something close to that

Island Man
01-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Chris we gotta get us some of them. Cant wait for warmer water. TA what time of year was that?

georgep
01-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Man that was sweet, I was watching the Carolina JV team play Clemson till I started watching the Roscoe Video, so I turned the TV off and started doing something that wasn't pi#*@%( me off so bad. Unbelievable game, really that wouldn't even classifiy as a game. Man can you tell I'm a little on the hot side. Where is Spring, I'm ready to go catch some fish. Spoke to a guy at church tonight said his cousin went out from Harkers Island this past weekend and caught some nice black drum and sheep head on (get this) sand fleas he had caught this summer and put in the freezer:mad::mad:

jimbeamii
01-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Great stuff. I'm tired...

jimbeamii
01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
how far offshore do you have to go to get to 280ft? I'm thinking 30+
I think his sonar said 269 or something close to that

Depends on where you leave from. Big Rock NE is the first stop for that depth (~255ft) leaving out of MHC -- about 50 miles out. Then Big Rock SE is about 550ft. Just about a mile SE of there you start falling off the shelf and it drops to 900ft then 1200ft about another 1/2 mile. Then it just keeps going.

georgep
01-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Depends on where you leave from. Big Rock NE is the first stop for that depth (~255ft) leaving out of MHC -- about 50 miles out. Then Big Rock SE is about 550ft. Just about a mile SE of there you start falling off the shelf and it drops to 900ft then 1200ft about another 1/2 mile. Then it just keeps going.Have you carried the StormCatcher out that far yet. I did go out on the Carolina Princess one time deep sea fishing and I think we went out about that far. If we didn't it sure did seem like it, there were people chumming before we even left the inlet that day. Weather was a bit ruff but got better as the day went on tho. Look forward to maybe catching a ride with you one day and catching some of those fish like we saw on TA's video. :D

NCangler
01-14-2010, 12:14 AM
We were between 60-80 miles off shore I believe on the two trips that we videotaped. Between four guys on the first trip we pulled an estimated 2,000 lbs of fish into the boat. The other three guys did most of the heavy lifting as I was shooting video most of the time. The second trip we pulled up more species of grouper and estimated about 25 species of fish that were caught using the Roscoe jig. It was amazing. The jig glows and simulates a squid in the water and of course everything likes squid.

I will be producing a video to sell in the TackleMonkey.com store on how to use the Roscoe jig and we'll be packing it with the jigs. Of course you can buy the jigs now in the store:

TackleMonkey | Blue Water Candy Lures Roscoe Freestyle Jig (http://www.tacklemonkey.com/BWC_Roscoe_Freestyle_Jig_p271.html)

And the Roscoe Lil' Man can be used in shallow depths (under 100' preferably, although we used it in 180' of water and it was able to get to the bottom). Several trigger fish were caught on it that day.

TackleMonkey | Roscoe Lil' Man Jig (http://www.tacklemonkey.com/Blue_Water_Candy_Roscoe_Lil_Man_p348.html)

NCangler
01-14-2010, 12:16 AM
BTW TA did a blog entry after the first trip with some pictures:

Cobia, Grouper and more - NC Angler Fishing Blogs (http://www.ncangler.com/blogs/the-topsail-angler-14/cobia-grouper-and-more-291/)

And I did one on the second trip if you'd like to see some great pics:

Jigging offshore in the Gulf Stream - March 31, 2009 - NC Angler Fishing Blogs (http://www.ncangler.com/blogs/ncangler-report-24/jigging-offshore-in-the-gulf-stream-march-31-2009-295/)

sundrop
01-14-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm sold, now who's gonna let me hitch a ride that far out??

cfarmd
01-14-2010, 07:51 AM
yeah, 60-80 miles out is too far for 75 gallons...maybe i'll just fill a few 10 gallon containers and bring them along. naw, jk, that's too far. But the storm catcher however...:)

cfarmd
01-14-2010, 08:01 AM
another question: how far offshore do you have to go to find grouper? I guess a better question would be what water depth and temp. I would like to try some jigging, but I'm not sure my 20' Sea Pro is enough to get me into (at least) "good" waters. I know I can't make it to the great spots, but finding some good ones would be nice to try. Seems like we were marking some at atlas this summer.

Randy: please let us know when you have the video ready, I'll definitely be interested in that! I've never jigged before so learning the technique will be a must. In the video online, I believe 1 guy explains a little bit about it, seems a little tricky to learn but overall easy to do. Thanks!

What color do you recommend? I'll probably get the 4oz for 100' or less

Island Man
01-14-2010, 12:22 PM
another question: how far offshore do you have to go to find grouper? I guess a better question would be what water depth and temp. I would like to try some jigging, but I'm not sure my 20' Sea Pro is enough to get me into (at least) "good" waters. I know I can't make it to the great spots, but finding some good ones would be nice to try. Seems like we were marking some at atlas this summer.

Randy: please let us know when you have the video ready, I'll definitely be interested in that! I've never jigged before so learning the technique will be a must. In the video online, I believe 1 guy explains a little bit about it, seems a little tricky to learn but overall easy to do. Thanks!

We have caught grouper 5 miles off the beach

cfarmd
01-14-2010, 12:32 PM
We have caught grouper 5 miles off the beach

well, that's close enough i reckin' ;)

backlash
01-14-2010, 12:32 PM
I would love to get out far and give that try. We found some great jig fishing within 7 miles of the coast. Used smaller jigs and lighter tackle of course but it is a great way fish and we can't wait to go again.

cfarmd
01-14-2010, 12:36 PM
well smaller jigs and lighter tackle would probably be good, b/c I'm not sure I have the proper equipment to handle an 80lb. AJ. I would like to catch 1 this summer tho, and hopefully a nice cobia or 2, along with the usual kings and mahi. I've got a lot riding on this summer, and I'm hoping to have a blast! Man, May can't get here fast enough! :)

NCangler
01-14-2010, 02:45 PM
All the colors have caught a variety of species. The brown tipped jig simulates a crab color and is very popular. :)

Topsail Angler
01-14-2010, 05:00 PM
For that near shore fishing, try the Roscoe 'Lil Man TackleMonkey | Roscoe Lil' Man Jig (http://www.tacklemonkey.com/Blue_Water_Candy_Roscoe_Lil_Man_p348.html)

It weighs around 2 ounces and comes with a treble hook. It's great on trigger fish, gray trout, black see bass, even grouper in shallower water.

Marius357
01-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Very sweet video, I have never been fishing in the ocean except for the piers which I dont really consider to be the same thing.

jimbeamii
01-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Have you carried the StormCatcher out that far yet. I did go out on the Carolina Princess one time deep sea fishing and I think we went out about that far. If we didn't it sure did seem like it, there were people chumming before we even left the inlet that day. Weather was a bit ruff but got better as the day went on tho. Look forward to maybe catching a ride with you one day and catching some of those fish like we saw on TA's video. :D

George -- StormCatcher has been out there a couple times so far. We will get you out there soon. We don't do a lot of bottom fishing but will drop a Roscoe now and then.

cfarmd
01-14-2010, 10:54 PM
For that near shore fishing, try the Roscoe 'Lil Man TackleMonkey | Roscoe Lil' Man Jig (http://www.tacklemonkey.com/Blue_Water_Candy_Roscoe_Lil_Man_p348.html)

It weighs around 2 ounces and comes with a treble hook. It's great on trigger fish, gray trout, black see bass, even grouper in shallower water.

TA, I've got it all figured out: come about june we just need to plan a trip, I'll provide the transportation and you the knowledge! :D:p;)

Topsail Angler
01-15-2010, 07:29 AM
TA, I've got it all figured out: come about june we just need to plan a trip, I'll provide the transportation and you the knowledge! :D:p;)

Sounds like a good deal to me!

dexontheyak
01-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Cfarm, me and my wife have caught grouper with in 5-7miles its all about using your bottom machine and finding good bottom. Find good leadges or just try what looks like small bumps. They can hold some nice fish.

cfarmd
01-15-2010, 08:32 PM
good to know, I didn't realize you could find them that close! Perfect day: troll in the AM for kings/dolphin then anchor on some structure and bottom fish in the PM...what a life! I can't wait for may!! Tackle and gear is all ready to go, just waiting on the weather and the first report!

Topsail Angler
01-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Perfect day: troll in the AM for kings/dolphin then anchor on some structure and bottom fish in the PM...what a life!

You must mean like this:

http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/data/500/medium/IMG_2582.jpg

cfarmd
01-15-2010, 08:55 PM
You must mean like this:

yeah, sumthin like that :) you still up for that trip haha :D;)

Island Man
01-15-2010, 09:17 PM
good to know, I didn't realize you could find them that close! Perfect day: troll in the AM for kings/dolphin then anchor on some structure and bottom fish in the PM...what a life! I can't wait for may!! Tackle and gear is all ready to go, just waiting on the weather and the first report!

Man will you stop it Im sooooooooooooo ready to fish :D

piratesaboard
01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I took to Alaska this past June on our 30th anniversary vacation 3 roscoe jigs (7 oz), targeting halibut. I caught 4 different species in a 3.5 hr charter, including my first halibut. I am sold. Here is what are Alaskan rock fish, all caught on the white/brown 7oz Roscoe.

http://i7.piczo.com/view/1/8/f/0/s/w/4/y/c/x/2/h/img/i286902492_76970.jpg