PDA

View Full Version : Umstead Park, Reedy Creek Lake

lefty
01-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Explored Reedy Creek lake at Umstead Park today. It turned out to be a much longer hike than we bargained for - next time we'll drive over to the Glenwood entrance and walk down to The Big Lake. Although the Reedy Creek bike'n'bridle trail goes right past Reedy Creek lake, the bank on that end is very steep. With two boys along, we weren't about to push our luck like that.

We bushwhacked our way over to the other end of the lake and claimed a sandy peninsula for the day. Spent a good four hours out there -- plus hikes on both ends. The fishing report is pretty much "like father like son" -- I've succeeded in teaching him to catch sticks. He drew first blood, and won the length prize for the day, although I think the girth of my catch would put me over in weight.

LiveBait
02-21-2007, 10:55 PM
The lake on the Reedy Creek Side of Umstead (Cary) used to be awesome for crappie. I haven't been out there in a long time. A lot of silt flowed into it and it was real muddy for a long time and the fishing went to pot so quit going out there. Is it still muddy all the time now?

Mark

lefty
02-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Don't know... I was only out there the one time. The hike in and out was long enough we'll probably head for the Glenwood side next time.

LiveBait
02-22-2007, 11:46 AM
I will have to go over there and check it out.

Kayakin' Kelley
02-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Don't know... I was only out there the one time. The hike in and out was long enough we'll probably head for the Glenwood side next time.

Just give the word Lefty!

KJ