PDA

View Full Version : Monster Carp -not sure how this happened

3rd_Man
04-02-2007, 05:24 PM
I caught this carp at a private lake on April 1st on (get this...) a crank bait. Scout's honor it wasn't a snag/foul hook. This fish "struck" my lure. I was using a large green and orange jointed Rapala. The lure was just sitting on the top of the water, and I can only assume looked like some green delicacy that carp don't see very often. I have seen carp hit lures on top before during spawning season. Perhaps they go a bit nuts with the spawn. I'm really not sure why the fish hit it.

All I know is 10 minutes later I had this thing on the bank and boots full of mud, water and more than a bit of pollen sludge. Anyway, I estimated the fish at around 40+ lbs. Took a bunch of pics and let her go. I'm sure she'll stick to less adventurous foods from here on in...

Please note look of disbelief

Lee

NCangler
04-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Good catch and release 3rd Man. I'll bet that was a good tug! :)

RobLatta
04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Ive never seen anyone get a carp to bite on anything but corn haha. You catch it on that spinning rod in the pic? I bet that was a blast to get in! Congrats

Bread Man 1
04-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Looks like the kind that eat moss and algae. They will strike spinnerbaits etc. They run hard don't they. I had a friend that had them stocked for algae control. Long story short, we would be crappie fishing with Zebcos and micro spinners, and I am sure you know the rest of the story. The fight was fun while it lasted.:)

Topsail Angler
04-02-2007, 09:35 PM
nice catch - bet it was a blast to bring in

sundrop
04-02-2007, 11:53 PM
I've had em slurp up a worm, but neve a crankbait. Looks like she is filling with eggs so she is probably hungry!!

RobLatta
04-03-2007, 12:11 AM
The pond in front of my parent house has a few grass carp. They look alittle different from the one you have there havent seen them other than when they eat dogfood you throw in the water but the look to be about the size of the little paddle boat thats there.

spectrum
04-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Nice catch! I've always thought that those Carp are really ugly looking..

Crummy
04-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Carp usually take small baits. I have caught some at the catfish ponds near my house. I caught one about that size on my 4'6" trout rod with 4lb line. I was catching small bream for bait on quartered up slices of hot dog the size of trout chow.

3rd_Man
04-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Yessir, and my drag was screaming! It was a hoot.

Ive never seen anyone get a carp to bite on anything but corn haha. You catch it on that spinning rod in the pic? I bet that was a blast to get in! Congrats

gambusia
04-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Triploid grass carp will sometimes hit spinners and crankbaits.

backlash
04-04-2007, 05:50 AM
Nice Fish. Looks like you were using some pretty light tackle. I'll bet that got your heart going.

carpio
04-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Nice grass carp - sure that gave you a shock! Well done.