PDA

View Full Version : Frustration at Falls Lake - 4.22.07

d-el
04-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Weather, amazing. Fishing, slooooooooow.

I don't know what it is about Falls Lake, but I can't catch much there. I was going after bass and I threw everything in the tackle box at em. Shallow cranks, white/chartruese spinner baits, senkos, ratl-traps. I finally shifted into "Don't Get Shut Out!" mode and tied on some little in-line spinners. I managed to catch a baby bass and a little white perch on the spinners, so that salvaged the day. :)

One cool experience though, I was in my canoe so I was able to get into some very "woodsy" parts of the lake and I saw a bunch of what I think were carp splashing around in a cove. Whatever they were, they were ginormous! Definitely had some reddish coloring on their tails. I think they were feeding on bugs on the surface, pretty neat.

lefty
04-22-2007, 09:20 PM
One cool experience though, I was in my canoe so I was able to get into some very "woodsy" parts of the lake

Jeffo and I paddled Jordan's Weaver Creek area on Friday -- the lake crested 8' above normal pool -- this branch has to flow through a culvert to get to the main lake. I don't know what it's pool level was -- but a structure that looks like an eagle's nest atop one of the trees in the middle of the lake, was at water level on Friday.

Anyhow -- about taking your canoe into "woodsy" parts of the lake -- I'm pretty sure we were paddling over campsites on friday. The bass I caught dove for cover into a briar bush. And I spent plenty of time digging my spinnerbait out of submerged sweetgums -- all the way submerged.

dampeoples
04-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Falls is tough on the weekends! I find myself saving it for the weekdays, or extremely early hours :)

spectrum
04-23-2007, 09:04 AM
I went yesterday as well to Falls and like you said it was SLOOOOOW.. Fished for Bass and crappie and ended up with one bass and a couple missed hits from the crappie. I did enjoy the sun though!

backlash
04-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Fishing was tough all over this past weekend, due to last weekend's storm. What a beautiful weekend to be on the water though.

catbuster
04-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey ya'll.Sorry to here about the slow time at Falls.As for the bass,this time of year' the best place i've found is in coves or necks close to the bank,about 3-5 feet off the bank.Right now though, the catfish should bereafy to start bitin'.I know that every where else the crappie and bass have slowed down quite a bit.Well gotta go talk to ya'll later.
catbuster

R4ED
04-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Hea Catbuster can you give me some tips. I have tried to fish simkins pond but had no luck, some small cats from bass lake. What do ypou use, and where do you go. Thanks

BMcClenney
04-26-2007, 11:38 PM
I caught a 10 pound cat out of Wheeler on a spinnerbait two weeks ago! Chartrusse and white seemed to be the thing! hahaha:)

bankandsurf
04-27-2007, 10:56 AM
I have had great luck at Simpkins Pond dont fish at the areas right of the Park road. Go in through the back side where the water gets less pressure.