PDA

View Full Version : Mayo Lake

ketchunanee
07-28-2005, 09:26 AM
It looks like I'm the first to post in the new Piedmont section. I like the new setup.

I stopped by Mayo Lake on Sunday evening after some flyfishing in the mountains on Saturday. I still had my fly rod in my truck, so I decided to throw some poppers and see what I could catch. I wound up with some bluegill and 3 bass on a little frog pattern in a period of about one and a half hours. Two of the bass were small, but one was a nice 4 lb'er. It was a lot of fun on 5X tippet and took about 10 minutes to land.

Mayo is a nice little lake north of Roxboro, about 30-45 minutes from Durham. I haven't read much about it on here. There is a nice park on the lake where there are trails, campsites and docks to fish from. Many beginning anglers and fathers have posted questions about places to get started or take the kids, and I think this lake would be ideal for that. Experienced anglers should not overlook this lake either. There seems to be a good population of panfish, bass and pickerel, and I have even caught large bowfin there.

mwbreede
07-23-2008, 10:49 PM
I type in "panfish and flyfishing" and yours is the only message I find? Sounds like a dream evening to me. C'mon guys, I am new to the area but flyfishing for panfish is great fun, especially with a bonus bass on the side now and then. Anyone else have some information or experience tossing flies at panfish? I am very anxious to find some good spots to try it out here(my home waters are Falls Lake and waters nearby), but I would love to hear from anyone who has had some luck...

Just picked up a mess of poppers, small streamers and hopper patterns. the kid next door is itching to catch something (my own are grown up and across the country) and I would really like to share the thrill of taking a few panfish on a flyrod. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mwb

Jeffonc
07-24-2008, 06:46 AM
I type in "panfish and flyfishing" and yours is the only message I find? Sounds like a dream evening to me. C'mon guys, I am new to the area but flyfishing for panfish is great fun, especially with a bonus bass on the side now and then. (If you haven't already,) try few different combinations of search terms. "fly panfish" brings up 144 threads. Try flyrod, fly and some of the waters you fish, brim, bream, bluegill, shellcracker, etc... Should be several posts on fly fishing the Eno River upstream from Falls. There are 90 posts with "flyfishing" as a single word, which is more than I might have expected. Keep firing at that search engine and you'll find some interesting things.