PDA

View Full Version : oak hollow last monday

kthomas
07-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Dragging shad for kitties all morning. There was a steady bite. Where ever we drifted, the cats were there. After six hours of drifting we produced two 5lbs, one 7lbs, and one 9lbs. We filled a cooler with future fat fillets. A heck of a day and alot of fun. When I get my pics I`ll update this thread. To all a good fishing day.:)

sundrop
07-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Sounds like a great day!

LiveBait
07-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Boy, I bet that was fun! Thanks for the report.

RobLatta
07-12-2007, 11:33 PM
What were you catching? I'm assuming blues. Sounds like some nice fish.

kthomas
07-13-2007, 08:36 PM
I was catching channels. A couple of big bull head cats too. They were maybe a couple of pds a piece. Which is pretty big. But I am not eating them. Channel cats only for me. I just finished with a catfish fish fry. I cut the fish into bite size nuggets and deep fried them. Everyone thought they were fantastic Even the kids loved them. When the kids eat the fish, you know they dont taste like fish. This was the first time I got the kids to finish a catfish meal. Of course they didnt know it was catfish. I let them or led them to believe they were eating crappie. But the end result was they loved the nuggets. I finally have perfected a recipe to rid the cats of any fishy taste. Man it was good. I`m going out to oak hollow with the wife and kid tomorrow to get some more fillets. My pics still havent come back from york photo lab yet. But when they do, I`m posting them. They were some beauties.
I went out today over to Higgins and the fishing was pretty poor. I don`t know what is going on with that lake, but the fishing has deteriorated over the past couple of years. I got a few crappie but all small. Post ya soon. good fishing.

Keith
07-14-2007, 11:16 AM
sounds like a good day! just wondering what you are using for the breading? I've tried the store brands and I don't know if thats it but I've lost the taste for deep fried fish, from the fry-daddy. I'm using vegie oil I've heard peanut oil is better(?) maybe cooked in the skillet would be better. If you get the chance and if you have'nt gone lake Cammack in Burlington is smoking hot for the crappie. I brought home 32 last Wensday all in the 12+ range.

kayak ken
07-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Hey Kthomas,
I have been to Lake Higgins and Lake Brandt an number of times this year and haven't caught anything large enough to keep, I don't know if this has always been the case or not, but I wasn't impressed. Kayak Ken

kthomas
07-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey Keith,
Thanx for the advice on Lake Cammack. I`ve heard good things about it. I`ve run out of crappie fillets, so I`ve got to try that out. The breading I use is House Audrey seafood breading. Then I put a little old bay spice in there and some Italian bread crumbs and bammmm you got yourself some good catfish. I`m just using peanut oil right now. But I am not sure thats making that much of a difference. I went out to oak hollow today for an afternoon hunt. The wife caught the two keepers. a two and three pounder. Me, I just enjoyed the time on the lake. Man was it busy out there. On monday I have the whole lake to myself. So, needless to say, I am looking forward to monday. see ya.

mkyoung185
07-19-2007, 01:27 AM
I have heard that MacIntosh in Burlington is good, but haven't heard much about Cammack. Any info on both of these would be greatly appreciated.

Keith
07-19-2007, 10:08 AM
I have head that MacIntosh in Burlington is good, but haven't heard much about Cammack. Any info on both of these would be greatly appreciated.

I've fished MacIntosh a few times last and did really well on the bass. I took a 7 & 10 lb'er out of there, and a friend of how fishes it quit often has real good luck there also. Lake Cammack is where I usually go when I have a full day off. If you go right from the marina you will see a divided bridge fish either side underneth. Best bet is to use minnows and a bobber at about 5-8'. You can tie off to the girders under the bridge to hold your spot don't drop an anchor or your lose it in the cross beams at 20'. last week I took 24-30 large crappie at 12"+ range. in about 4 hours. LOL

mkyoung185
07-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Wow what a great 4 hours....I will give these lakes a try.....thanks for your help!