PDA

View Full Version : Falls Lake - Ledge Rock Area 8.18.2007

d-el
08-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Armed with a google map from Jeffonc (Thanks Jeff!), I headed out of Ledge Rock around 8am this morning. (A personal best for this sleep lover). I even talked my co-worker into going.

We were after bass, and did not catch any. We mostly tried dragging Carolina rigs along the shore line, tried a few lipless cranks too. I did break the skunk with a little catfish though. Caught him here:
Google Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Falls+Lake&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=59.249168,110.390625&ie=UTF8&ll=36.032616,-78.728381&spn=0.007505,0.013475&t=k&z=17&om=1)

It was caught on a 1/4oz inline spinner. Believe it or not, this was a species-first for me, I've never caught a catfish in my life, so it was pretty exciting as I did my best to steer clear of that stinger that I've heard about.

Another note, my co-worker brought his GPS unit along and I'm pleased to announce that my canoe (http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f42/my-canoe-3191.html) has a top speed of 8.5mph. I thought she only had 6 or 7mph in her :)

Here's that little cat.

sundrop
08-18-2007, 01:48 PM
That's a little blue cat. They get to be over 60lbs. The little ones will "fin" you quicker than a big one will. Watch those barbs, you can usually hold the hook with needle nosed pliers and shake em off... If they hook deep slide your hand up from the tail up.. the belly, letting the side fins open out and rest on your hand holding the fish from the bottom so the dorsl fin can't get you. Then just drop them quickly to release...

lefty
08-18-2007, 03:18 PM
If they hook deep slide your hand up from the tail up.. the belly, letting the side fins open out and rest on your hand holding the fish from the bottom so the dorsal fin can't get you. Then just drop them quickly to release...

Or use a gripper like Jeffo's.

sundrop
08-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Or use a gripper like Jeffo's.

Tackle monkey loves Lefty.LOL!!! j/k!

lefty
08-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Tackle monkey loves Lefty.LOL!!! j/k!

Nah, the Tackle Monkey wants you to buy the $109 Boga Grip, not the $10-$15 plastic jobbie that works just as well.

sundrop
08-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Touche' Lefty touche'....LOL

d-el
08-19-2007, 10:41 AM
That's a little blue cat. They get to be over 60lbs.
Thanks for pointing out what species of catfish it was, I was wondering that myself and couldn't tell if it was a Blue or a Channel Cat.

Watch those barbs, you can usually hold the hook with needle nosed pliers and shake em off...

That's exactly what I ended up doing, luckily I had learned that technique while trying to avoid getting "spined" by yellow and white perch when I was a kid.

Dave B.
08-20-2007, 03:30 AM
Your not alone D-el... I dont like handling catfish either... back in my younger/stupid days.. I went to stomp a saltwater channel cat on the head (dont ask,,,...) and he had raised up that dorsal spike.. well it went straight thru my shoe bottom right into the bottom of my foot. Hurt? is an understatement...

I do the pliers thing, but have been known to try to hold them by getting them in my hand (sliding hand up to grip them under them outside stickers)... but if I got pliers, it's much better..

Thanx for the report!

Jeffonc
08-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Your not alone D-el... I dont like handling catfish either...!

No hero here either. I caught 2 cats this morning (on crankbaits) and managed to dismiss both without touching them or sliming the kayak.