PDA

View Full Version : Aug 22, 2007 - Falls Lake

Jeffonc
08-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Got Lefty to come out and inspect the lake with me this morning. Breeze was from the opposite direction and did not allow the lake surface to rest, which kept the surface feeding down and made it a little harder to find where the active fish were.

I wound up catching 5 or 6, mostly from the area where the Upper Barton creek channel meets the main river channel. A slightly smaller class of fish today with several white perch, 2 LM, and only 1 good White Bass (who spit out a sweet immitation of my shad rap in the half-digested flesh&scales pattern). Both the bigger LM and the big White weighed out at 1.7lbs - still no trophy certificate since I've been taking the scale. Funny how that works... I had about the same number of fish hooked but come unbuttoned. There was a flurry of activity in the channel from 7:45 - 8:15, then things slowed way down.

I have noticed on the last 2 trips that everything has been biting the back hook and more fish are coming off than they had been. Not sure if that's got more to do with the fronts that have moved through making them a little more skittish or if I need to change the size/color of my baits. Catching smaller fish may have something to do with it too - no matter how hard an 8" white perch tries, he's not going to get a 3" shad in his mouth sideways... I did change from the larger chart/blue bait below to a smaller shad rap RS and immediately got the big white. I felt pretty smart, but it was short lived as I didn't catch anything on it after that.

If you look very carefully behind the massive largemouth in the pic below, you can make out Lefty against the Island at Lower Barton Creek. He caught at least 1 LM and has a pic or two to add (hopefully) - I'll let him post some more details.

sundrop
08-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Try a small white or chartruse twisty tail on a gold beetle spin... I think you'll still get the hits with more hookups from the smaller selections...

lefty
08-22-2007, 01:22 PM
That's me WAY back there!!!

I'll post my pics a little later. I get to claim a 11" largemouth, and a net full of trash.

lefty
08-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I arrived after Jeff did, so I had to catch up. I managed to catch a pretty cool few minutes there on the lake...

http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/data/511/medium/IMG_0671.JPG

After I caught up with him, I wound up in the "photo boat" role for this almost-two-pounder...

http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/data/511/medium/IMG_0672.JPG

Dave B.
08-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Looks nice, and looks like y'all had a good time "catchin".. good job! thanx for the report/post/pix

backlash
08-23-2007, 04:22 AM
Good Report. Thanks,

Topsail Angler
08-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Nice shot!

Jeffonc
08-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I arrived after Jeff did, so I had to catch up. I managed to catch a pretty cool few minutes there on the lake...

After I caught up with him, I wound up in the "photo boat" role for this almost-two-pounder...

(Take nothing away from the handsome guy with the giant white bass, but...) That is one awesome sunrise pic - that one ought to get published somewhere. Or at least start a thread for cool sunrise/sunset pics.

Where's your LM pic?

The sun has been just right to frame the Osprey on his perch in the mornings. Last week the sun was huge and red and seemed like it would have made a great pic - this was the best one I got on thursday:
http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/data/500/medium/SANY0020_Medium_.JPG
Missed the angle, was too far away and the sun didn't come through nearly as red as it was to the naked eye. This week the eagle had flown the coop both days. Will have to keep trying til I get it right.

lefty
08-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Where's your LM pic?

I didn't have the microscope lens for my camera.
(Kinda lame, sorry... But I did decide that it was small enough I didn't need to take its picture.)

Topsail Angler
08-23-2007, 02:27 PM
(Take nothing away from the handsome guy with the giant white bass, but...)

Did I miss a picture????? :eek:;):D

Jeffonc
08-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Did I miss a picture????? :eek:;):D

OK, OK... maybe I did understate how terrifically handsome I am... :p

Not only don't my fish measure as big when I remember to take the scale, they don't photo as big when I take a photographer either!

lefty
08-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Is either of these better?

Topsail Angler
08-23-2007, 09:40 PM

Nice. Gotta love photoshop (and similar programs).

We I was growing up there was an often used saying, "pictures don't lie". Not true anymore................

Dave B.
08-24-2007, 01:12 AM

Much better!!!

ha ha ha ha hah a...... :D

backlash
08-24-2007, 04:35 AM
Try submitting that one for a NCARP citation.:D

lefty
08-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Nice. Gotta love photoshop

That was just MS Paint... I sure hope Photoshop can do a better job of that... from what I hear...

Topsail Angler
08-24-2007, 02:50 PM
That was just MS Paint... I sure hope Photoshop can do a better job of that... from what I hear...

Depends on the operator...lol Actually I have only used the program (Photoshop) once or twice - it is very complicated but very powerful