PDA

View Full Version : closed ramps

bouldertoad
08-25-2007, 02:32 PM
as lakes fall Boat ramps are closing. maybe some of you know about ramps that are closed and could keep us up to date so we don't make a wasted trip. THANKS in advance.

dampeoples
08-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Not been there, but was told Michie in Durham was closed. It's always closed this time of year anyway, so I'm confident they were right :)

What a sorry place to place a ramp, though! I don't claim to know who owns the land surrounding it, but the shallow end of a lake is seldom the best place for a ramp, that's for sure.

sinker man
08-25-2007, 03:32 PM
That is a good idea. I can imagine some are also iffy...Ie the ramp may be ok for smaller boats but a larger boat such as a pontoon or Dave's 25' Wellcraft might experience some problems.

rangergreg281
08-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Falls Lake's Ramps are all still open. At Rolling View, we only have 1/3 of the floating portion still in the water.

Along these lines, due to staff shortages, Rolling View Rec. Area (Including the boat ramp and campground) will most likely close sometime in the very near future. We have 3 ranger positions, with one currently vacant, one about to go on paternity leave, and the 3rd waiting on a possible promotion to another area of Falls Lake. If all these things occur, the park will be left with no Law Enforcement personnel and we will have to close it down.

However, even if ramps do end up closing down, There are still plenty of areas where anyone with a canoe or kayak can still port their canoes in.

Also, I've never heard of the WRC closing their ramps, either for extremely high or low water.

sundrop
08-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Just curious.. what are the total requirements to become a park ranger?

backlash
08-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Great Idea Bouldertoad.

Dave B.
08-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Your right Al, water levels on local lakes have kept me away (Harris and Jordan).. Took the boat back to the broker since I'd rather not want to chance it. Might drag it back and do another coast run Labor day weekend...

Good idea though for folks to post up conditions ;)

rangergreg281
08-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Just curious.. what are the total requirements to become a park ranger?

Must have a 2 yr degree in any natural science (4 yr preferred), some park related experience (though it is not required with a 4 yr degree), a clean criminal history and a fairly clean driving record.

There are new requirements now that state you only need a H.S. degree, but that will only get you eligible for an interview. You must have a college degree to be seriously considered.

bouldertoad
08-25-2007, 11:19 PM
what's up Sundrop, did a ranger upset you?:confused:

sundrop
08-26-2007, 12:39 AM

No, No, I just wondered how much education and special training was involved... I didnt know if everyone wearing the uniform really had special training and such..

Topsail Angler
08-26-2007, 07:17 AM

I was wondering if he might be considering a career change :cool:

sinker man
08-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Gee, I thought he might be considering a career change for his wife so he could get in some certain spot before the gates were officially open.:D

bouldertoad
08-26-2007, 11:36 AM
One thing I have been doing is taking a map, I then mark all the under water things that come up. not to avoid them but so I can go back and fish them:rolleyes: like I found a tree field that I never know was there.

sinker man
08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Use your digital camera and make tons of pictures. You could put them on a cd and sell copies. You would be rich over night but you would never be able to catch another fish. LOL

bouldertoad
08-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I become richer with each cast. catching fish jest makes it better, no money required.

sundrop
08-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Rangering wouldnt work for me. Wife is doing what she loves..(Lucky *%& ) . But I'm am looking for a career change, thanks to my busted back...:(

Dave1273
08-26-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm always looking for a career change. I just haven't figured out how to make fishing pay the mortgage yet.
As for closed ramps, Hidden Cove on Lake James is closed. The rest of them are open for now but if they keep pumping, who knows for how long.

sundrop
08-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Ramps are looking good around here.. City Launch by Washington Park and Clark's Neck on Tranters creek looks good. The wind has kept the water blown upriver so it has actually been high a few days...

Topsail Angler
08-26-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm always looking for a career change. I just haven't figured out how to make fishing pay the mortgage yet.

When you figure it out.....please let me know via PM. Thanks!:D

cnoffsin
08-26-2007, 10:14 PM
2 ramps closed out of four at oak hollow because of low lake lake levels.

Dave B.
08-27-2007, 02:01 AM
One thing I have been doing is taking a map, I then mark all the under water things that come up. not to avoid them but so I can go back and fish them:rolleyes: like I found a tree field that I never know was there.

Kinda like this? Only thing I didnt do is walk to every spot with the handheld GPS and mark the individual brush piles and stumps....
http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f6/low-water-level-jordan-lake-9-a-4471.html

I found alot of snag'd lines and such on stumps, rocks and trees.. but someone already had beat us to the good pickin's

here's Poe's landing at Jordan, john boats didnt seem to have an issue, but the larger boats were struggling a bit on recoveries:

http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/data/500/100_0711.JPG

bouldertoad
08-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Wellcraft I'm setting in the detroit airport trying to figure out were that picture was taken. and the thought comes to mind (not a clue)! I'm taking my camra this weekend and see if i can STUMP you. Is that the boat ramp?

zooker
08-28-2007, 06:53 PM
here's one..
this is a ramp on a lake taken last october.. toad you should know this one..
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/zook_n_stien/tillery10-6-06002.jpg

and here is an area that is rarely dry..differant lake than above..and i refuse to say where it is..

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/zook_n_stien/zooker%20tackle/drawdownbadin002.png

zooker

Dave B.
08-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Is that the boat ramp?

Btoad, picture was taken from the middle of the cove to the left of Poe's landing. See where the boats are? the ramp is to the right of them (Ramp just to the south of Jordan Dam).

rangergreg281
09-07-2007, 06:27 PM
The Highway 50 Boat Launch on Falls Lake now only has 1 ramp open. The others have been closed due to low water levels and steep drop offs. Boat ramps in all other areas, including WRC ramps, to my knowledge, remain open.

Jeffonc
09-08-2007, 04:59 AM
The Highway 50 Boat Launch on Falls Lake now only has 1 ramp open. The others have been closed due to low water levels and steep drop offs. Boat ramps in all other areas, including WRC ramps, to my knowledge, remain open.

Hey Greg - is there a written or unwritten policy on launching primitive craft (ie kayaks, canoes) from ramps/ramp areas when the ramps are closed?

zooker
09-08-2007, 07:09 AM
high rock is 7 feet down right now this not only brings the ramps into play but also the stumps..

zooker

rangergreg281
09-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey Greg - is there a written or unwritten policy on launching primitive craft (ie kayaks, canoes) from ramps/ramp areas when the ramps are closed?

The policy is, if we close the park and swing the gates closed, then you are not allowed to enter the area period. Even walking in past the gates is prohibited. If we close a few ramps but leave the park open, then you may do whatever you wish (including porting in canoes) providing you do not enter the closed facility or portion of the park area that is closed.

When we close a ramp, like we did at Highway 50, it's because the water gets so low that we run out of concrete ramp for someone to back their trailer down.

In the case of Hwy 50, there has been significant erosion from under the concrete, leading to large drop offs, which if you backed a trailer down into the water, your trailer would fall into the eroded hole, landing on its frame, and you would be stuck.

We will also close the ramps if the water gets too high, because the docks are made to break away from the ramps if the water gets to a certain level. Of course, when it is this high, the parking lots are usually under water. If this occurs, but the park is still open, yes you can launch your canoe / kayak from the parking lots. You would not be able to launch a boat, however.

Blue Water Runner
09-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Person County Lakes

Mayo Lake located off of NC 49N Has three lanes and the LEFT lane is closed on that ramp.

Hyco Lake located off NC 57 has two ramps. The ramp beside the Lake Authority Ranger Station is closed. The other ramp across the lot has two of the three lanes open. Both are pretty shallow.

This was based on the weekend of 9/8/2007

rangergreg281
09-18-2007, 02:43 PM
As stated above, all but one ramp at Hwy 50 boat launch are closed due to low water.

I had to close the far left ramp at Rolling View Rec. Area on Falls Lake due to high concentration of sand buildup and low water levels. The other 3 ramps should be fine for use.

For those of you unfamiliar with Falls Lake, I would stongly advise NOT taking your motor driven boat WEST of the Rolling View peninsula. The average depth west of Rolling View is around 5 feet, so with the lake being down 6 feet things are very shallow except in the river channel. There are numerous stumps and islands forming lakewide and we are getting reports of people tearing up their props or running aground.

Also, Because NC State Parks have no jurisdiction on the lake, we are prohibited by law and by park policy from assisting stranded boaters unless it is a matter of life and limb.

The following photos were taken from the boat ramp area and the Rolling View peninsula looking west.

rangergreg281
10-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Well, I have had to shut down 2 more ramps at Rolling View so we now only have one ramp available for trailered boat launching. There is just too much sand on the ramps and the area is now too shallow for launching trailered boats. The only ramp open is the far right ramp.

Jeffonc
10-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Well, I have had to shut down 2 more ramps at Rolling View so we now only have one ramp available for trailered boat launching. There is just too much sand on the ramps and the area is now too shallow for launching trailered boats. The only ramp open is the far right ramp.

I didn't figure it would be good news when I saw you had posted... Those sanded in ramps make great kayak launches tho. Sad to see them closed from that perspective but I don't think I'd have to wait long to use the one remaining open ramp. If you're out there today, let us know how many people even bother to launch trailered boats.

Thanks!

sundrop
10-06-2007, 02:33 PM
One thing about it. With less boat traffic stressing fish, and more "habitat" sprouting where water used to be, if we get good rain this winter the spawn/spring will be awesome!!

rangergreg281
10-06-2007, 05:15 PM
I didn't figure it would be good news when I saw you had posted... Those sanded in ramps make great kayak launches tho. Sad to see them closed from that perspective but I don't think I'd have to wait long to use the one remaining open ramp. If you're out there today, let us know how many people even bother to launch trailered boats.

Thanks!

I've seen 3 people launch today. One of our campers, who is from out of state and has never been on Falls Lake before, launched earlier this morning. I told him last night about the drought situation and where he needed to stay away from. Told him the channel runs along the opposite shore and to stay away from the area west of the RV peninsula and that if he stayed to the east of the peninsula and headed towards Hwy 50 he should be OK. He was in a 20-22' center console V-hull boat. I guess he heeded my warning because I saw him pulling out of the water about 2pm today, no worse for wear.

My seasonal employees told me that they watched a boat roaring past the tip of the RV peninsula near the danger buoys. I guess they wanted to test their luck because they whizzed past the buoys a second time...only this time they hit a sandbar. Oh well. Ahhhh.....I love my job :D

rangergreg281
10-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, it was inevitable, but we have now had to close all 4 ramps at Rolling View due to low water levels. You can still port kayaks / canoes in at Rolling View. Highway 50 Boat Launch still has 1 open ramp, and all ramps at Beaverdam are open as well (on a side note, Beaverdam Rec. Area will be CLOSED to the public Oct. 28 for the yearly Iron Man Triathlon, so all ramps will be unavailable).

I am in error about Beaverdam being closed Oct. 28th. It will be closed tomorrow Oct. 20th. Sorry for any confusion.

rangergreg281
10-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Well, I just found out yesterday that we are getting new boat docks at Rolling View, and possibly at Hwy 50 and Holly Point campground.

After the ramps were closed yesterday, I found out that one of our superintendents came over to Rolling View and had our maintenance guys tear up the old docks. I have been waiting 7 years for this to happen (everything seems to move so fast with state gov't :rolleyes:).

There is no telling how long it will be before the new docks are in place (hopefully by next summer), but they will be put in by WRC and will look like their ramps as seen at Barton's Creek, Ledge Rock and Hickory Hill. This design has shown to hold up pretty well and are MUCH better than the old style docks we had before.

If the docks are not in place by next summer, the ramps will still be open for use (provided we get some water back into the lake). I'll post more as it develops.

shemstreet
10-17-2007, 06:11 AM
Glad to hear it, the new budget must be out since they are upgrading Farrington at Jordan as well

Jeffonc
10-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Found out the hard way today that the Poe's Ridge ramps at Jordan are closed. Gates locked at Jordan Dam Rd with signs - can't even get down to see what it looks like.

New Hope Overlook has 1 closed ramp but the other 5 open. Warning signs posted that the concrete ends in 2.5 feet of water.

zooker
10-23-2007, 10:10 PM
badin lake ramps in circle drive are closed off.. pine view has the only ramp that you can float your boat off the trailer right now.. it is a pay to launch ramp btw...

i would avoid hwy 49 ramp on tuckertown as the rock is in play-they are yo-yoing the water level a LOT..

high rock all is good right now..

will have to see how this rain will effect the lake levels..

zooker

dalton
10-24-2007, 06:05 PM
The ramp into Salem Lake in Winston-Salem has been closed for a while now, I have also heard that the ramps at Lake Norman have been closed.

Blue Water Runner
10-24-2007, 08:50 PM
I was at Uwharrie this passed weekend and I checked on the lake level at the ramp at Arrowhead Campground which is still open. Here is what it looks like:

Dave B.
10-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Wow! thanx for the pix Jimmy..
Got me thinkin if the folks that got grounded on Jordan were able to retrieve their boat back from bein hard stuck on a shoal..