PDA

View Full Version : Durant Nature Park, Revenge of the Weeds 9.3.2007

d-el
09-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Fished Durant Nature Park in North Raleigh from the shoreline today. It was a memorable, but frustrating day.

By this time of year, much of the Lower Lake of Durant Nature Park is filled with thick weeds. Much of the shoreline is un-fishable, but there are several spots where you can get a soft plastic to drop in if you cast past the weeds.

On two occasions I had BIG bass hooked, one on a Zoom Horny Toad, and one on a 4'' orange Senko. On both times, the bass overpowered me and dove down into those thick weeds. The one on the frog came off, the one on the Senko snapped my line as I gave up trying to crank it in and tried to hand-line it out of the weeds. The same thing happened to my buddy while I had the Senko-hooked fish on. It was a Double that was doubly spoiled by those weeds. (Both of these fish jumped out of the water when I hooked them, so I could see they were good sized, probably 2-3 pounders).

So I ask, experienced bass anglers, how do you get a big bass out of thick weeds? Or is the only solution to make sure they don't dive down there in the first place? That seems almost impossible on Light or Medium tackle.

tcfisherman
09-03-2007, 09:42 PM
d-el MY ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS BRADE LINE CHRIS

Bread Man 1
09-03-2007, 09:48 PM
I second that motion.

sundrop
09-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Braid and a good Med action rod...You can use a 30lb braid and it will feel and cast like 8. Then you can tie 'em to the bumper and drag 'em out!!!!! You just have to learn to set the hook with a slight hesitation because you have no stretch delay like with mono..

d-el
09-03-2007, 11:08 PM
These are great responses guys, thank you all.

My only experience with braided line is taking it off the shelf in the tackle shop, looking at the price tag, and putting it back on said shelf :D

I am frugal by nature, so I always have opted for the cheap monofilament line without even thinking about where braid might work better. Does anyone have a recommendation for a braided line that gives the best bang-for-the-buck?

sundrop
09-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Spiderwire does a good job to me. You can spool partially with mono as a backer and finish with braid. I do this on some of my reels to avoid total sticker shock! I figure the first half is seldom used anyway so I am depending on the braid mostly....

Jeffonc
09-04-2007, 07:36 AM
I spent about 20 minutes at Dick's a couple weeks ago looking at braided lines for one that was a better bargain than the others - no deals to be found as everything was the same price. I had even looked at having some spooled for me at Gander Mtn this winter when I bought a reel but didn't do it because there weren't any savings that way either (mono was free, braid was like $11 - I went with the mono that time, but have since replaced it with full-priced braid).

The good news with braid is that it will last several times longer than mono. But you have to get past the up-front investment to enjoy the dividends. Several braids are reviewed on the reviews page.

sinker man
09-04-2007, 08:39 AM
DL, you can top 2 reels off with a 150 yd spool of braid. You need to be a little creative in order to get 75 Yds on each reel. That might entail a quick trip to a local football field or it might entail measuring off 225' in your yard or somewhere with plenty of mowed grass. I doubt you would be casting any where near that far bass fishing and if you wanted to make it a 50 yrd topshot. That would be plenty for fishing cover. If it were me in your situation I'd go with the Shakespeare Ugly Amor (125yd spool) and just put on 50 YDS of 30 and reserve the rest for another reel. You could even split a spool with your bud if he wanted to try it. Gamma is another newer tech super braid. Power pro handles pretty good but has been known to get too many mystery breaks. I think some of the newer lines actually are better than the earlier ones. Either one will wear when using it as a top shot. Make sure you check the last few feet just like mono.

lefty
09-04-2007, 08:59 AM
D-El
I switched my spinning reels from mono to braid after my first year (which was just 2006, so don't think this was ancient history... I'm a newbie here...)

Anyhow -- the first thing I noticed was that the lower stretch factor allowed me much much better feel of what was going on down under the water. MUCH better. The other thing I did was put a mono leader on the end, so that if I got snagged and had to break it off, I knew it was the mono that was going to break. The thing that always concerned me with all-mono was that if I got snagged 30 yards out, and had to wrestle with it to get it to break, I've wound up stretching all 30 yards of that line -- and the textbook says I've also weakened it beyond the point of trustworthiness, so I need to get rid of that too. On a braid-with-mono-leader rig, I've stretched and broken my mono, but not the braid, so I only need to cut off as much braid as it takes to tie on a new mono leader.

I picked up a new used baitcaster from CoreyAtCastaway on Saturday -- he recommended (and I went with) flouro on that reel, since the backlashes will be easier to get out of flouro than braid. This is my first experiment with flouro beyond surfcasting shockleaders.

Hope it helps a little. This is mostly hypothesizing on my part -- I don't have near the experience as most of the folks here... Just my engineering-ism going on...

Topsail Angler
09-04-2007, 12:38 PM
These are great responses guys, thank you all.

My only experience with braided line is taking it off the shelf in the tackle shop, looking at the price tag, and putting it back on said shelf :D

I am frugal by nature, so I always have opted for the cheap monofilament line without even thinking about where braid might work better. Does anyone have a recommendation for a braided line that gives the best bang-for-the-buck?

One thing to consider on the price is the value - see the braided line will hold up a lot longer than mono - 4 to 5 times longer so its more money up front but over a period of a few years the braid isn't that much more expensive.

I use Power Pro - I think there are less expensive braids but I have full confidence in the Power Pro so I stick with it.

Hisheirs
09-04-2007, 03:17 PM
It's come up time for me to re-spool .. the tackle monkey had me looking at braided .. but I wasn't sure is was suitable for spincasting ..
Lefty .. you've been using it with no issues ??

Zman
09-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Braid is a much more cost-effective line than mono, for me. In my experience, most spools of braid last a full year now, at the very minimum half a year. Most mono, for me, gets coiled and nasty after about 2-3 weeks. I don't use regular mono anymore. Copolymer can last up to 3 months for me but that's rare.

I use Power Pro and Suffix Performance Braid. I always loved Power Pro but after giving Suffix a fair shot, I'm starting to think it's better. It doesn't dig into itself nearly as much as PP.

Bread Man 1
09-04-2007, 06:34 PM
I prefer Calcutta Braid. Twenty pound test, six pound diameter.

Bread Man 1
09-04-2007, 06:46 PM
The best mono I have found is Sea Striker and Ande fishing line. I have used Berkely and all of that hoopla crap, and these two brands have been the most reliable to me for the types of fishing I do.

lefty
09-04-2007, 08:06 PM
I used Berkeley Fireline in their Smoke and Crystal colors, and just bought a spool of PowerPro in red.

The first thing I noticed was that the Fireline Crystal was more slick than the smoke -- I had to be more careful tying my knots. A Uni-to-Uni knot was the only knot I found that would hold in the Crystal. That's now become my standard, so I don't know how the PowerPro compares on that front.

The second thing I noticed was that the smoke fireline did not seem to be as flexible as the crystal. At times, when I tried to let gravity pull my lure down to let out a little bit more line, the smoke line would fail to slide through the tip guide. I'm using the powerpro on the same rod as I previously used the smoke, and it does not seem to have this problem.

Third thing I noticed on both of the colored braids was that the color seems to be a simple dye. The smoke dye would actually rub off on my fingers as I tensioned my line. I haven't noticed the red dye coming off on my hands, but I have noticed it fade in only a month of use -- the smoke also faded. The crystal line got dirty. I don't know how much of an issue any of this is, as much as anything, it's probably "just a thing".

A commonly-stated disadvantage that's spoken of regarding braid is that if it backlashes, it will cinch up quickly and tightly and will be impossible to untangle. I can certainly believe this, but my spinning gear bird-nests so seldom that it's not a common problem on those rigs. I did have one bird-nest on the crystal line on Monday, but managed to catch it before it cinched up tight. I do make a point every so often of pulling my line out the length of the cul-de-sac to try to reduce tangles, especially if I notice it starting to tend in that direction.

Oh yeah, and it is more touchy to cut. I've got a small tool the size of a small pair of scissors, with a half-inch of cutting blade followed by a half-inch of hemostat-type nose... It will only cut the braid if I hold the braid fairly taut. Otherwise it will fray it to death eventually. My Browning fishing pliers cut the braid easily, but they're much bigger (and much more expensive).

I'm still working on my first impressions of fluoro line, but so far, I'm a big fan of braid.

sundrop
09-04-2007, 08:41 PM
I only use spinning reels and I have really grown to love braid. I was a die hard Stren user all my life until I bought a used combo that was already spooled with braid a few months ago. Now it is my first choice.

cobra-drvr
09-04-2007, 09:07 PM
I agree that with the weeds in Durant pond right now you need super strong line to land the fish. But given the lack of any open water, is that really any fun? You will get the fun of finding them, getting the hit, and setting the hook, but after that the fish is in the weeds and now its a battle between pulling out the weeds or ripping the hook through the bass mouth.

I have pulled a couple of bass through those weeds and its really not the battle/fun I am looking for. I could just have thrown in a big spoon and ripped out the weeds for a few casts. It would have been about the same feeling. I thought maybe if you fish top water and just hauled them in as fast as possible (bassmaster style) to keep them on the top, that might save you from the weed battle. But that method doesn’t really give me the battle I want either. To me bass fishing is about exploring the water, probing the spots, getting the hit, setting the hook and a battle to bring the fish in. I have been having a blast in the other lake keeping the fish off the logs enjoying the jumps, leaps and splashes.

Its just my opinion but I don’t see pulling weeds as any fun whether its in my yard or with a bass on the line in the pond. Am I missing something here? I have nothing against braided line and have been thinking of trying it. But for the weed problem I dont think it will really help me.

I talked to a park personnel on Saturday and she said now that the kids swimming programs are over they will be "treating" the weed problem. I am not sure what that means but hope they can do something to make the lake fish-able again. I did talk to someone fishing the other lake who said for the last 7 years the weed problem gets worse by the year. Thats a bummer and doesnt look good for the future, before the weeds took over I was having a blast :-)

thanks
cobra-drvr

LiveBait
09-04-2007, 10:05 PM
I only use spinning reels and I have really grown to love braid. I was a die hard Stren user all my life until I bought a used combo that was already spooled with braid a few months ago. Now it is my first choice.

Momoi for me!

Zman
09-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Its just my opinion but I donít see pulling weeds as any fun whether its in my yard or with a bass on the line in the pond. Am I missing something here? I have nothing against braided line and have been thinking of trying it. But for the weed problem I dont think it

Another advantage of braid- it can cut through the weeds. More often than not, it will rip through heavy patches of weeds that non-braid would simply pick up and drag along.

It can't hurt to try it once. I don't use it for everything, maybe half my reels now have braid. As far as birds nests, I've lost a lot more non-braid to them than braid. I can't remember the last time I had to cut away braid from the spool from a nest. Thick copoly - I've lost several full spools worth this summer. I think the twist and coiling of non-braid naturally leads to more birds nests.

The thing to remember with braid overruns, once you strip down to the tangle in the spool, pull hard until it completely stops the spool, it should find the loose loop itself. Once you free it, strip plenty of line off before you reel back in. Braid will dig into itself on the spool and prevent the line from casting past that point unless you strip line all the way past where it dug in.

turtlestew
09-05-2007, 07:12 PM
I've found that bass tend to see braided lines easier when fishing slow. I think I catch more bass on mono than braided lines when fishing plastics so I've switched to 14lb trilene clear or cajun line for finesse fishing.

I have one rod spooled with braided line though for fishing topwater and crank baits.

Just my two cents, seems to work pretty good for me.

Bread Man 1
09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Flurocarbon leader.

Topsail Angler
09-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Flurocarbon leader.
Ditto on that!

Delo HD
09-05-2007, 10:02 PM
I am a big fan of the fllurocarbon!! A little pricey but quite nice on the reel. Thats just me.