PDA

View Full Version : Sept 13, 2007 - Falls (Beaverdam)

Jeffonc
09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Chose Beaverdam for a change of scenery this morning. Set out from Old Weaver around 7:15 (late start). Headed toward the Old Weaver bridge with intention of C-rig, deep cranks and jig&worm around the channel drop. Thought I'd drag some shad raps on the trip over and watch the bottom contour (there really is no bottom contour to speak of).

About 75 yards outside of the launch cove as I was slowly progressing from 7 to 8 feet of water one of the rods went nuts. Clearly a fish and clearly a good one. It didn't come up at all, but it was too big to be a white, so first thought was a nice catfish. After about a minute it came up and sloshed the surface - LM. It had inhaled the shad rap and both sets of hooks were safely imbedded inside the mouth.

Measured 23+" long, 4.6 pounds. Biggest fish on the kayak so far.:)

Got restarted and gave myself a little extra speed so I could spend some time tying up my C-rig (shame on me for not prepping). Just when I had laid down the paddle and gotten the tackle box open I snagged my other shad rap on a stump or something (submarine?), spooling myself and snapping off at the knot between the braid and backing before I could even get slowed down. Dragged the bottom in that area with some big cranks but couldn't come up with it - oops:mad:.

Eventually made it to the far side and got a couple of light taps on a finesse jig&worm but nothing to stick.

I Didn't find any water in that direction over 10 feet, or even any very exciting underwater structure. The "channel" is only about a 1 foot depression from the flats around it up there. I didn't get all the way to the bridge - probably 100 yards downstream, but there the channel was down to about 6 feet with 5 foot flats all around.

sundrop
09-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Nice LM! When you're in open water with little structure all it takes is a hump/hole/tray on the bottom and it can hold fish... 1ft of sudden depth change can create a "cool spot" where fish will lay waiting for something to pass by.. aka SHADRAP! LOL!!!

Topsail Angler
09-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Very nice catch!

skooteri
09-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Sweet fish. I have been thinking that trolling out of that cove would be a good idea. All the fish that must come in and out of there on a daily basis- people are always catching from the roadbed there.

Heading out to Lake Crabtree this afternoon, to test out some of the GOPC yaks. Thanks to Lefty for the head's up about that event. Will have mine as well- will try a few casts for non-edible fishes.

tcfisherman
09-13-2007, 02:31 PM
GREAT FISH JEFFONC. CHRIS...............

fojoloy
09-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Way to go jeffo!:)

Jeffonc
09-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Sweet fish. I have been thinking that trolling out of that cove would be a good idea. All the fish that must come in and out of there on a daily basis- people are always catching from the roadbed there.
At first I thought it was a bit of a fluke since I don't usually catch a fish that size trolling shad raps, but I don't usually troll shad raps in 6-8 feet of water either, and like Sundrop said, they're just waiting in a dip or behind a stump for something like that to come along.

Heading out to Lake Crabtree this afternoon, to test out some of the GOPC yaks. Thanks to Lefty for the head's up about that event. Will have mine as well- will try a few casts for non-edible fishes.
Might head that way myself in a minute...

turtlestew
09-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Hey Jeff, nice fish! Stupid question maybe, what kind of battery do you have that depth finder hooked up too? I've been thinking of getting one for my canoe. I've got a full size marine battery that I've been using for my trolling motor but I assume your not using something that size on the yak.

LiveBait
09-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Well it looks like there was at least one nice one in the area that found your bait.

Nice fish Jeff!

Jeffonc
09-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey Jeff, nice fish! Stupid question maybe, what kind of battery do you have that depth finder hooked up too? I've been thinking of getting one for my canoe. I've got a full size marine battery that I've been using for my trolling motor but I assume your not using something that size on the yak.

I've got a 7 amp hour 12V that I got from a hobby shop for about $25, with a plug-in (cell phone style) charger (another $13 or so). Its run all summer on one charge and I think its still showing over 12V. I think Lefty has a 5 amp hour version that's a couple inches smaller, lighter and makes an easier form factor for securing in a water tight container. Might save a couple bucks too. I'd probably recommend that for just driving a fish finder, if you can find one and save a few dollars. Some folks get a 10-battery case from radio shack and use rechargeable AAs, but that sounded like more trouble than I wanted to deal with.

Here's the post where I described the full install -> http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f56/kayak-fish-finder-install-documentary-4175.html?highlight=fish+finder+install

Below are some pics of the battery pre- and post-install...

turtlestew
09-13-2007, 10:09 PM
I've got a 7 amp hour 12V that I got from a hobby shop for about $25, with a plug-in (cell phone style) charger. Its run all summer on one charge and I think its still showing over 12V. I think Lefty has a 5 amp hour version that's a couple inches smaller, lighter and makes an easier form factor for securing in a water tight container. Might save a couple bucks too. I'd probably recommend that for just driving a fish finder, if you can find one and save a few dollars. Some folks get a 10-battery case from radio shack and use rechargeable AAs, but that sounded like more trouble than I wanted to deal with.

Here's the post where I described the full install -> http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f56/kayak-fish-finder-install-documentary-4175.html?highlight=fish+finder+install

Below are some pics of the battery pre- and post-install...

Thanks for the detailed response! I have a feeling I may be visited by the monkey this weekend.

kayakingglenn
09-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Jeff.... just a couple things.. First, what's a C-rig?. Second, in reference to the watertight box that you are using to house your 12 V battery. In the picture, do I see a plug and socket of some type so that wires don't run through a hole? I have the eight (AA) battery set up that I got from kfs. Last week when I came back from Falls Lake I was lazy and did not take it out of the bottom of my kayak. Even though I keep that in a dry bag, the metal in the battery holder rusted.:confused:

backlash
09-14-2007, 04:45 AM
Nice fish, Jeff.

kayakingglenn
09-14-2007, 05:59 AM
It was late....I know what a C-rig is!

Jeffonc
09-14-2007, 06:32 AM
Jeff.... in reference to the watertight box that you are using to house your 12 V battery. In the picture, do I see a plug and socket of some type so that wires don't run through a hole?

At the moment I don't have a true plug/socket installed (but I did pick one up at autozone a couple weeks ago - waiting for a rainy day to splice it in). I did install the same kind of CPVC junction box connector as a wire pass-through into the watertight box that I put on the boat. It holds a rubber stopper that the wires run through.

lefty
09-14-2007, 08:33 AM
I took a different approach to getting the wires through the battery box -- I just drilled a pair of small holes, passed the wire through, and gooped them with silicone adhesive. It's not the best choice, but it's done the job so far. I tossed a couple of silica gel packets into the battery box to help with any humidity that gets trapped inside.

sundrop
09-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Rub a bit of vaseline, or spray lithium lube on all of the exposed metal contacts and it will help protect them. You can use Battery spray from AutoZone too. It is sticky and red. It works well.

rangergreg281
09-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Jeff,

Thanks for the report. Now I know that it's not that my lake is empty of fish, it's just that bankandsurf and I can't catch anything :D

cvwillis
09-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Great report, thanks for the pictures also......CV

kayakingglenn
09-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks Jeff..... do you have any close-up pictures of where your wires come out of the box?

Jeffonc
09-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks Jeff..... do you have any close-up pictures of where your wires come out of the box?

added closeups to the original Fish Finder Photo Documentary thread here->http://www.ncangler.com/forums/56/kayak-fish-finder-install-documentary-4175-2.html#post29904

bankandsurf
09-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey rangergreg speak for your self:)