PDA

View Full Version : hybrid species?

jfraser7
09-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Yesterday, while fishing in a neighborhood pond in chapel hill I caught what appeared to be a hybrid largemouth/bluegill. Its profile was similar to that of a blue gill with a distinct blue dot on the gill and more of a rounded shape than you would expect from a bass. It was bass-green over it's shoulders but had some specks of yellow and orange on the belly. The defining bass-like characteristic was a large mouth that could easily be gripped between my thumb and forefinger. I would have suspected a crappie, but the fish just looked too much like an exact hybrid of a largemouth and bluegill. Has anyone else seen this? Is it common? Just a thought question for everyone...

ps - i snapped a couple photos with my camera-phone but I they didn't turn out that great. if i can figure out how to transfer them to my computer i will post again...

RedMenace
09-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Sounds like you caught a green sunfish or green sunfish x bluegill hybrid. The greens have a much larger mouth than most bream and tens to be a little thicker across the shoulders.

sinker man
09-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Sounds like a warmouth to me. There is also a mud sunfish that is usually found further toward the coast. There are some pictures under fish facts that might help. They aren't very accurate paintings but if you disregard the color they might help.

After further review green sunfish seems more likely. I believe RedMenace is probably dead on.

bankandsurf
09-14-2007, 05:00 PM
A Green Sunfish sounds likely to me.

Hunter's Haven
09-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Sounds like a Warmouth or Green Sunfish.
Gery

Green Sunfish
http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/data/500/greensunfish_bg.jpg

Warmouth

http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/data/500/warmouth.jpg

sundrop
09-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Glad you said Warmouth... I didnt know if ya'll used that name in NC or not... Fighting rascals, I know that!

fojoloy
09-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Years ago, we could load up on them "stump knocking" on the lower Cape Fear around Navassa (before the catfish took over)

sinker man
09-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Gery, According to the fish facts section they are 2 seperate species. They are pretty close cousins though. You can see the family resemblence for sure. Not sure I'd know for sure which one I had without looking at some pictures. I think the warmouth are noticably darker and the greens are just that ....green. It's been awhile since I've seen a sizable green. All I know for sure is they both look good battered and fried. LOL

Hunter's Haven
09-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Sinker Man,

I've corrected my previous post. It should be one of the two fish shown above. The sunfish will be more colorful (brighter) , while the warmouth will be more olive brown with markings much like a smallmouth bass. I hope this helps identify.
Gery

Rookie12
09-16-2007, 03:36 PM
I caught some fish in the pond behind my mom's house that were clearly a brim/crappie hybrid. funny looking fish, but I"m 99% sure that's what they were, mouth like a crappie, colors were overlapping of brim and crappie. They looked funny! anyone else ever seen these?

hip
09-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I just wish I could find a pond around here that was not guarded by Mossburg or Winchester?