PDA

View Full Version : Sept 18, 2007 - Falls Lake

Jeffonc
09-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Lefty and I got out this morning to Falls. Great morning for a paddle, not so much for the fishing - crisp, clear, low 50s and breezy. Launched out of Upper Barton at 7, out by 9:30. Only caught 1 fish trolling shad raps around the mouth of upper barton, and not much of one at that - 12" LM.

Lefty read 75 degrees on his temp sensor (I took the new green machine - no fish finder...yet).

Even after the rain, the water might actually have been lower than last time I was out there. Lefty should come back with some interesting pics of a big Wellcraft cruiser that found an unmarked island and looks like it's spending days and nights there until we get some water.

I thought Dave B might appreciate a shot that didn't include my toes...

Jeffonc
09-18-2007, 10:27 AM
...I thought Dave B might appreciate a shot that didn't include my toes...

but I just couldn't help myself :D. Rockin' the neoprene - that's how I roll!

lefty
09-18-2007, 10:32 AM
I hope this guy's got AAA...

Jeffonc
09-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Even after the rain, the water might actually have been lower than last time I was out there.

Confirmed: http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/dss180f.txt

It came up by about an inch and a half over fri/sat but is now back down lower than before the Friday rain. Its a good 6" lower than the last time I was on the main lake on the 6th, but still about a foot an a half above the worst of the 2002 drought...

yesterday - 245.42
October 2002 - 244.05

rangergreg281
09-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Confirmed: http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/dss180f.txt

It came up by about an inch and a half over fri/sat but is now back down lower than before the Friday rain. Its a good 6" lower than the last time I was on the main lake on the 6th, but still about a foot an a half above the worst of the 2002 drought...

yesterday - 245.42
October 2002 - 244.05

The lake level isn't the half of it. Look at the inflow (-95 cfs) vs. the outflow (126 cfs). That ain't good. I've heard on the news that we are worse off during this year then we were back in 2002 due to the fact that there is no real good threat of heavy rain anytime soon.

lefty
09-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Look at the inflow (-95 cfs) vs. the outflow (126 cfs). That ain't good.

What's the difference between outflow and negative inflow? Do you somehow have water going out past the inbound monitoring station?

rangergreg281
09-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Not real sure how they get the negative or what it means. What I do know is that when the inflow is greater than the outflow during a drought, things don't look that great.

Dave B.
09-18-2007, 11:44 PM
I hope this guy's got AAA...

Yow! same thing on Jordan with a cabin cruiser....

lefty
09-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Not real sure how they get the negative or what it means. What I do know is that when the inflow is greater than the outflow during a drought, things don't look that great.

For the negative inflow to be greater than the outflow, I presume you mean... -95 is 221 cfs smaller than 126...

The most plausible explanation I've come up with is that the inflow figure might account for evaporation. Maybe you're getting 5cfs flowing in from the Eno River, but every second 100 cubic feet of water evaporates from the surface, adding up to -95 cfs inflow... Now run 126 cfs over the dam for the outflow...

Doesn't make sense that you'd have 95cfs flowing into the Eno and the feeder creeks.

The other explanation I've come up with has been that the programmer put this negative value in place to indicate that the value is meaningless. Maybe the inflow sensor is high and dry. That's the best explanation I've got for the Jordan Lake data page someone referenced the other day that indicated that the water temp was minus 99 Fahrenheit.

<shrug> Who knows.....

bassblues99
09-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Hi. Not really knowing the Upper Barton area, I have a question. Do people fish to the right of the ramp (going under the bridge) by the tree stumps or is it way too shallow? I am getting sooooo sick of Beaver Dam (and not really catching) Thanks.

Jeffonc
09-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi. Not really knowing the Upper Barton area, I have a question. Do people fish to the right of the ramp (going under the bridge) by the tree stumps or is it way too shallow? I am getting sooooo sick of Beaver Dam (and not really catching) Thanks.

Those trees on the other side of Six Forks Rd are in 10-15 feet of water (which is probably 5-10 right now). Plenty deep. It must be full of crappies at some point during the year and you'd think there would be some resident bass too, but I've never, ever figured out the secret to fishing that timber. I hardly go back there at all.

sundrop
09-19-2007, 10:59 AM
I've seen boats so thick over there in the spring you could walk across them... Filled a few coolers myself. Only thing is when those stumps are hot and heavy, Beaver Dam is a gold mine!...LOL But those stumps will hold fish year round just a little harder to find..

luke1wcu
09-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Jeffonc, thanks for the interesting report. Its a good reminder of how careful we all have to be out there in that shallow water. I'm hoping the fish will start biting good again soon. As soon as this cold weather/water shock wears off.

Just curious if anyone knows the common fall patterns for bass on Falls Lake. It will be my first fall season fishing the lake. Is it safe to assume that I should be able to find them again on main lake points with carolina rigs? I've learned that successfully fishing a lake is ten times more difficult than in the neighborhood ponds that anyone can conquer.

rangergreg281
09-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Those trees on the other side of Six Forks Rd are in 10-15 feet of water (which is probably 5-10 right now). Plenty deep. It must be full of crappies at some point during the year and you'd think there would be some resident bass too, but I've never, ever figured out the secret to fishing that timber. I hardly go back there at all.

I've fished there a few times as well with no luck. Like Jeff said, there must be crappie in there at some point, I just wish I knew when.