NC Angler Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tents in the woods behind my house...homeless people?

16K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  trigger22 
#1 ·
There's land behind my house that is undeveloped and I believe is owned by the city. It's very woodsy and previously I thought nothing of it. While looking at a map of our area I noticed that there's a pond on this land so I thought I would go check it out. The pond is pretty unimpressive but right next to the pond was this huge hill. I climbed the hill and found two tents with a bunch of dirty blankets strewn everywhere. There was also a lot of trash all over the place. I think there might be homeless people living there. It makes me kind of uncomfortable. What should I do?

#36 ·
That video doesn't have anything to do with homeless folks living on unauthorized land....that's a sad story thing but essentially just another story of somebody trying to make law enforcement officers look like a bunch of malicious, abusive, heathens.....

Sent from my kayak....

#37 ·
just another story of somebody trying to make law enforcement officers look like a bunch of malicious, abusive, heathens...
I fully disagree.

Maybe I am the minority with this view, but I'm pretty **** sure it wasn't about the police as a whole being abusive but rather about a human being being treated without a shred of respect.

I just wanted to make a point that they might leave if you ask without the need to have their only possesions destroyed.

One of our members, Biglenr, has seen this first hand!

Then I called the county sherriff. They sent out a deputy, I walked with him to the tents. He took them down (not very gently), threw them in his trunk, and marked the area with crime scene tape.
He even says he felt horrible afterwards.

However, i felt like crap that these peoples few belongings were taken from them and they would probably never see them again.
I posted the video to support why what biglenr suggests should have been done to give them a chance to leave before their belongings are taken.

You can leave a note telling them that you will call sherriff if they're not gone in in a day or so... Don't threaten, don't give name, don't even say you're a neighbor. Then call sheriff's office.
That video doesn't have anything to do with homeless folks
So please explain to me how this video is not related to the discussion?

Lastly, I do not think that our law enforcement is mallicious and I certainly did not post that video to suggest that they are. I thank the men and women who put their lives in harms way as law enforcement to ensure our safety.

I'm done here.

#42 ·
If it was my land I would call the authorities and have them removed. Allowing someone to squat on your land has all kinds of legal consequences including potential lawsuits if someone gets injured while living on your property. The liability would likely extend to a landowner that not only knew of the squatters but also to the landowner that should have known. For that reason, I would call a landowner to inform them of squatters on their property. Having them rousted is an unfortunate situation, but getting sued for doing nothing more than being compassionate would be equally unfortunate. If you feel bad about the situation then volunteer at a shelter or make a donation. If you are critical of those that would make the call to the authorities, I hope you are already volunteering at a shelter.

#46 ·
you know this how?

I'll share a story from a few years ago. I work for an organization that among other things, is a homeless service provider.
We encountered a fellow from India who was living by a creek near downtown greensboro, living like a wild man.
He was resettled here by the US government as a refugee and didn't have family, friends, or know anyone who spoke his language.
When the paltry amount of money he was given to get started ran out he broke down, maybe he was already broken, who knows. He has a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia.
Some folks/ organizations that I know were able to get him into permanent housing and eventually a voucher for individuals with mental illness. He's receiving services and treatment now and 3 years later is still struggling, but has housing.
He'd probably still be living in the woods or dead if it were not for some compassionate folks. It wasn't easy.
Everyone has a story.

#47 ·
Ok, let me share a story from a few years ago....

While working in a particular area of a city for quite sometime, I noticed several homeless folks on a daily basis....one guy was walking around all day, everyday, begging for food and money.....and giving some bs story about his kids and whatever else....
After several weeks of this I gave him the benefit of the doubt and tried pulling some strings...I spoke to a close friend about this.....so in a few days, my friend pulls up to this dude....actually tells him he'll pay him $8/hour to do some work for him around this place of business (a steady job)....and guess what....the dude wouldn't even let him SHOW him what the job would be....also, after lending a hand several other times by giving them money (out of my own wallet) i followed the "helpless" folks to the liquor store and watched them spend my money on a bottle of liquor...also, I've gave a guy money only to have him ask for more and act like you're a cheapskate....also, I've gave them money only to have them grab it like their last breathe depended on it and run across the street with their friends and do god knows what with it.....

GET THE PICTURE??? Not all are like this.....but, most didn't get there by trying to better themselves.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.