NC Angler Forums banner

h2ohhh has a Crappie afternoon

RED X 
5K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  RaymondWells 
#1 ·
Worked on honey do's all day. Spent the late afternoon catching large numbers of small crappie. Here's the secret pond. It's sweeeet.

But I did find a few fat mamas.

This one was 17 inches with a girth of 14! What a football.

An hour later here they are.

Good day, great dinner. All fish taken on the old school marabou jig under a weighted float.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
A pretty big one. Maybe 15 acres.

Mookie, I'm sure that 17 inch smallie fought a lot harder than that crappie did though she fought pretty good. I'd have definitely released the smallie too. Most folks know I rarely keep any fish. When I do it's only enough for one meal. I like them fresh.

#9 ·
Very nice! I go back and forth between filleting and cleaning crappie (I just put two cleaned ones in the freezer tonight) because I usually lose too much meat and/or have too many bones in fillets. It looks like you did a really good job of filleting. They are fun on UL; it's mano a fisho...

#12 ·
That's a Wusthof filet knife. Basically the G Loomis of knives. A gift from my mother one Christmas. It's an absolute scalpel and that's the secret to a filet with little waste. I've owned that knife for 25 years now and it's never been through anything but a fish. Gets sharpened after every use.

#19 ·
Great looking Crappie. John once filleted out some fish for us after a long 12-hour canoe float down the uwharrie. The sun had already set and was getting dark quick when we got to camp. I held the flash light while John made quick work of filleting the fish. That was some of the best fish I have ever eaten and absolutely no bones in the fillets. Just looking at those fillets is reminding me of those good times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.