NC Angler Forums banner

Is That Good To Eat?

8K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  FATBUOY 
#1 ·
If ignorance is truly bliss, I may be the happiest person to draw breath when it comes to which salt water fish are good to eat and which ones should be tossed back or turned into chum. A little help, please!

I know, for instance, that flounder, trout, spots, croakers, are good to eat. What about other species such as, red drum, spanish, etc. How do you prepare your catch? Is red drum good for the grill? So many questions ... so little knowledge (on my part). I have to admit that I feel super ignorant for having to ask but I'd feel even more so if I didn't bother to find out.

Let me know what's good, what ain't, and how you prepare the edibles.

Coach

#2 ·
Great question coach and interesting that you should bring this up. In my never ending quest to add features to this site (and avoid sleeping:p) I am working on a recipe site that will be linked here. Guys and gals will be able to add their favorite recipes and search for them. There will be a special section for fish and seafood but I think I'll open it up to anything. I like Thai food, Mexican, country cooking, you name it. It will just be a fun place to add good food and an additional service of NCangler.com. What do you think?

BTW I'm sure you'll get some great answers here. I love Mahi Mahi, Grouper, snapper, Spanish Mackerel, Cobia and of course Flounder. :)

#7 ·
fojoloy said:
I'll take all the blow toads you don't want.:D
Isn't that a bit edgy? I understand that there is, indeed, edible portions of a blow fish but you have to know what's what. Otherwise, don't you become suitable for chum?

As for others, how about sharing some of your grilling/cooking suggestions for other fish. I don't eat much fried anymore so I'm looking for baked, grilled, broiled, etc. I know it's heresy that I don't eat fried ... its just that I pay a doctor too much to yell at me about such things! Oh, I have a Big Green Egg cooker so I can grill, sear, blacken, or smoke (sometimes all at the same time!).

#8 ·
In Japan the two loins on either side of the Puffer fish is a big delicacy. You are right though, there is a poison sac in the fish and just a knife tip touching that poison and then touching the meat will make you sick or kill you. In fact in Japan you have to be licensed by the govt. to prepare Puffer fish in a restaurant.

Never seen it on a menu in the States. Forrest - you know how to prepare a puffer/blow fish?

#9 ·
I have been eating them going on 50 + years. Knowing how to clean them helps. Batter them up with your favorite seafood batter-- throw them in skillet or deep fryer till golden brown-- (I like my sushi WELL DOWN):) Don't think you will find many on menus .I understand that it is or was sold at some fresh seafood markets as sea squab. Would be very expensive due to time and risk involved with proper cleaning. www.drumwagon.com has a video on cleaning instructions. It is a delicacy.

#17 ·
#18 ·
A baked, broiled, or grilled (legal size) puppy drum is very good. I remove the flesh from the skin, season with a smathering of butter, Old Bay, salt and pepper to taste, maybe even a light dusting of garlic powder. 325 oven and check it after abot 15 min's to make sure it ain't drying out! Spanish Macks: I make a drench with milk and an egg, and a dredge with House Autry or Atkinson's or corn meal (whatever your choice is). I put my salt and pepper in my breader. Dredge the fillets, have my breader in a sack, put the wet fillets in the sack two or three at the time and roll'em and shake'em gently and release 'em into the hot grease! When they try to float a little, I turn'em once. And go to eatin! Boiled tater and some cole slaw, and hush puppies to top it off!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.