NC Angler Forums banner

Understated musicians

11K views 82 replies 26 participants last post by  challenger 
#1 ·
I wanted to start a thread to shed light on largely unknown musicians that deserve more recognition.....my first is John Hiatt. If you have never heard his music do yourself a favor and check it out on utube...an amazing songwriter...up there in the top tier imo. So much great music out there that doesn't get heard enough because people haven't been exposed to it. I have a special affinity for Hiatt cause his album Crossing Muddy Water helped me through the breakup with my girlfriend of 13 years. I was turned on to him when I was at my brothers girlfriends house some years ago. We would wake up early and play Hiatt or the grateful dead and a variety of others, eat a big breakfast and spend the day smallmouth fishing on the James river. Fond memories.

#3 ·
Great thread subject!!!

What comes to mind her for me is the music of Rick Danko, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel, Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm. They form a group that a lot of people have heard their work and probably never knew what the name of the band was. Well these gentlemen went by the name 'The Band'. When I hear 'Understated Musicians' I think of The Band. The film 'The Last Waltz' which is their last ever performance and joined by some of the biggest names of the 70's is just amazing!

#4 ·
The list of such musicians is vast and varied. I am fortunate to live near a venue that is hands down one of the best in the area (or the country for that matter) when it comes to featuring such performers. Musicians that play here range from household names (before they were household names) to the up-and-comers that are pouring their souls into every song they write and play. If you are at all close enough to come to a show, I strongly encourage you to check this place out. You will not be disappointed

http://www.muddycreekcafeandmusichall.com/

I now return you to your regular programming

#11 ·
Went to the Merle Watson festival back in 92. It was the year they filmed it and broadcasted it on PBS. We went not being familiar with bluegrass but left a fan for life. I was blown away by doc Watson, tony rice, emeylou Harris, David grisman, Alison krauss, Peter rowen, Sam bush.....it was a fantastic couple of days.

#13 ·
If you guys like southern rock/country you should check out Seth Stainback and Roosterfoot. There right here form the Outer Banks, as well as Barefoot Wade. Also if you ever have the chance to hear JJ Ball play you should definitely check him out. I went to school with him, hands down one of the best guitar players I've ever heard. Another NC band to look up is the Big Something. These guys are out of Mebane and will blow your mind. They have blown up over the past few years. I hit their shows as much as I can, love seeing them jamming live.

#25 ·
This thread has already expanded my playlists guys. Keep it up!

Any blues fans out there?
Love the blues! Started with Stevie Ray Vaughan, and went from there. The Mighty Sam McClain "When the Hurt is Over" is just amazing! Tinsley Ellis, Albert King, Joe Bonamassa, Robert Johnson, Eric Clapton back in the day (although he's certainly not understated), even Jimi Hendrix made some sweet blues music.

Love that Bluegrass too, The SteelDrivers were my "gateway drug" so to speak.

#22 ·
It you are into early Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn type stuff, check out Emi Sunshine on YouTube and Facebook. Think she is twelve now, but have seen her stuff since she was nine, she performed at the last two Merlefest's I believe. Alison Krause's Brokedown Palace at Merlefest was classic.

#23 ·
Seeing that there are so many with similar musical tastes, if you any of you are in the Oriental area, every Wednesday is open mike night at Silos and once the weather is warmer live music most every Friday night at the Red Rooster amphitheater behind Silos. Most holiday weekends have live music at the Red Rooster multiple days. The Marina also has live music and Gary's Down East too. On Oct 6th and 7th is Ol' Front Porch music festival in Oriental with a multitude of venues. My neighbor there performs and his 6 children make some, or all, of their living through music, so many evenings there is a jam session going on on their porch. So if anyone is around Oriental and wants to do some fishing and see some live music, hit me up, got a refrig full of beer and wine, some 10 - 15 yr old single malts and burgers and steaks on the grill. You are welcome to stay.

#28 ·
I like Steep Canyon Rangers, Turnpike Troubadours, Jason Isbell, and all those guys too.

If you are a fan of the blues check out RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough. They played a genre of the blues known as "Hill Country Blues" and both hailed from northern Mississippi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.