NC Angler Forums banner

Where do you guys buy minnows around Asheville/Hendersonville?

16K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  gypsycrow92 
#1 ·
I get mine in Waynesville now, but that takes me 15 miles out of the way when I leave work if I am fishing in Buncombe or Henderson counties- any place closer?

#4 ·
Found a bait shop on Brevard Road, get off at the I-26 exit and turn like you are going to I-40 and he is up abotu 1/4 mile on the left. $3.50 a dozen for large ones and $3.00 a dozen for small, plus he has nightcrawlers, wax worms, green worms, and crickets.

It is a combination bait shop and tire shop, so you might have to wait for him to finish mounting a tire to get your bait, but it is a lot easier to get to than Franklins for where I drive and fish.

#6 ·
Franklin's is not what it used to be. If you are looking for anything other than worms, minnows, crickets or plain old hooks and sinkers you are outta luck. I would love to find a really good bait and tackle shop around here in WNC but so far no luck. Some place that carried a variety of things that I normally have to order form the internet. I was saying to my hubby the other day when my last little one starts school, I was thinking about doing just that. I'm just not satisfied with what Wal-mart or the local bait shops carry and don't like waiting a week to get my internet order. Alot of times my trips are spur of the moment or next day or two so I need a better option- lol!

#7 ·
hear what you are saying. I hate wal-mart, just for the fact that they never carry anything I need or want, our Dick's sporting goods has to be the most pathetic one, tons of what you do not want and always out of what you need. I love curtis wright outfitters,( weaverville) I may spend .50 cents or a dollar more on the item I want, it's worth not having to put up with rude fellow shoppers, the traffic and looking through 7 acres of stuff I have no use for. They always have what I want and what is popular with the locals. just my opinion:p I agree with you about franklins too, but they just couldn't compete with the big chain stores on their lures. That's another reason I avoid wally world, they are driving most local tackle shops into oblivion.

#8 ·
There is a place in Yancey County called Coopers Trading Co. They have a great selection of all sorts of bait. It is right off 19-E before you cross the cane river (coming from asheville). Its a bit of a drive for all you guys that live around asheville, but if you are ever out that way its worth checking out.

#11 ·
If you need rosy red minnows or crickets you can get them at WNC Aquarium and Imports just down from the Ingles in Fletcher

I took your advice and checked this angle out yesterday.

Rosy Reds $.10 each! Cha-ching! Better than half they had were actually regular strain fathead minnows. I got 100 to help supplement the pond in my development as the forage fish are few and far between since it was lowered last summer. I will likely get 100 more next week.

They said they were told by a park ranger that fishing with them was illegal, I told them that since the Rosy Reds were just a strain of the fathead, and they are native to the area, that it is legal.

I can't say I feel good about that alligator stuck in an an aquarium like it is....

#10 ·
Since you live in Waynesville, try heading west toward Andrews/Robbinsville (and Fontana Lake). There is a bait shop there on the right about two miles before you exit from 74 onto highway 28 toward Fontana. I think the name of it is Smokey Mountain Trading Post or Outpost (I can't remember which). You can buy shiners by the POUND ($12-14 per pound and they are very generous).

I've set up a small tank in a nearby creek at my home such that there is constant water flow through the tank. With fresh water flow and a crushed up dog biscuit once in awhile, the minnows will live for weeks.

Good luck

CaptCatFish

#13 ·
PetsMart stores in Asheville also sell fathead minnows at 12 cents each and small goldfish

Super Petz on Brevard Road has feeder goldfish and other feeders but I rarely go there. Not sure how much they cost.

A good way to raise fathead minnows is in an outdoor tub. Fill it with water plants and a small flower pot or jar or two for the minnows to spawn in.

Fathead minnows lay their eggs in caves, under rocks or on the underside of plants.

#14 ·
Not really the Asheville/Hendersonville area but, here is a late addition and maybe already known by yall, but I visited a fairly nice bait shop in the Waynesville area yesterday. I believe the name was Waynesville Bait and Tackle. It is located on Old Balsam Rd near the new Walmart. The had a very good selection of live bait (several types of worms, crickets, minnows) and the prices are reasonable. Wasn't buying any minnows yesterday, but $2/dozen small; $3.50 dozen med; $5 dozen large are the prices I recall.

Not sure how helpful this will be, but thought I would throw it out there anyway.