NC Angler Forums banner

?? French Broad Smallies ??

River 
1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  KCastelin 
#1 ·
With winter coming to an end, and the snow done until next winter (I HOPE) I was wondering if it was to early to wade the FB for smallies. If not, what are some good fly patterns to use for them, and if it is to early, when is a good time to start? Itching to land a big smallie on the fly.

#2 ·
try around the deep, SLOW water below marshall dam, I have caught them this early there. as far as patterns, maybe something heavy you can twich on the bottom. with all this rain we have had, I would SERIOUSLY think about wading around, I bet it is roaring and muddy. Little too dangerous to try in my opinion. If you can stand the trash, try redmon dam. I normally start wading the broad around mid april.

#3 ·
awesome Tom! That's what i needed to know. I'm not thinking about wading it right now, like u said the 2 day t-storm and snow melt off has got the river MOVING. I'm just itching to land a smallie on the fly. Think Tuesday or Wednesday i'm gonna go get some practice fly fishing on a private pond that is supossed to have some monster hybrid bream and some bass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.