NC Angler Forums banner

Field and stream closing in Raleigh

10K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Nat's Dad 
#1 ·
Hey guys wanted to pass along the info incase anyone is in the market for anything. The field and stream in Cary is closing doors. All the displays are 25 percent off once they have sold the inventory. And anything clearance is another 30 percent off I was able to work a deal on a power pole pro series II for 30 percent off after they realized the floor model was a display only they gave me the last one they had in stock for the same price!! Not much on sale but still some deals to be had. All trolling motors have to go a probably 10 display models left.
Get it while it lasts!

#13 ·
Surprised to hear this. I have never been all that impressed with F&S. I feel like their fishing selection is no where near as vast as BPS or Cabela's, and I find their prices high unless you buy on special or with a coupon. Out of curiosity, why do you consider them better than the others?

#4 ·
They are a division of Dicks Sporting goods. I figure either Dicks will get better locally or they just couldn't compete with all the new places BPS, Cabelas, Gander etc.

Reactions: dbeam
#6 ·
Stopped in today to check it out. It's not a huge going out of business sale or anything since it appears they're just sending everything to other F&S stores but if you're looking for a bigger ticket item like trolling motors and stuff there are some deals to be had.

#9 ·
2 on display I called said they wouldn't sell so went down there they may have them in inventory see if you can strike a deal on them like I did. Mines new in box now struggling to get a mount if anyone has a source locally who may have it in stock

#14 ·
The fishing manager of the one in Cary was a great guy. Very friendly. First time he met me and he talked to me for a long time and asked me to let him know anything I wanted that I didn't find and he would order it for me. They are the only one that tried to cater to NC fishing. Bass pro has a lot of useful stuff, sandwiched in thier large selection, but Cabela's is pretty much full of useless crap. I generally drive there only to leave without what I wanted. Plus the fishing employees know absolutely nothing about nc fishing. One didn't even know what a spinner bait was.... Bass pro's employees aren't as ignorant, they just don't take the time for you unless you are buying a big ticket item (except that sweet old lady always trying to sign me up for a credit card). The kayak guy at field and stream was very knowledgeable too. I found it odd that field and stream, in the heart of Cary, managed to find a real southern fisherman for a manager, yet Cabela's, which is oh so close to my beloved JoCo, hires out of staters that know very little useful information. They have some great people in the gun department and others, but fishing wise, I am very disappointed.

#16 ·
I do like gander mountain. Never get to go there but i always find good deals there. Bps is where I go most often, as it is close to the interstate and they have so much stuff I can usually find what I need (and a lot of what I can't). Field and stream is just too hard to get to

#17 ·
I agree with Cody, I have only been in the F&S once, but I had a good visit and enjoyed talking with everyone. I used to go to BPS in Charlotte some a few years back, but they always seem to be rushed to do something else when you have a problem, and sometimes seem to be lost about the specifics of the items in there departments. Wes Lewis is an exception, but he isn't there all of the time.
I try to avoid BPS and Cabelas if at all possible. In Hickory I prefer to go to Academy, I wasn't at all happy with the Dick's Sporting goods in Hickory, but the last time I went in to check out a sell item is was impressed with how much things had changed in the store and with the staff members that I passed while walking through to the back.

Darrell

#20 ·
Selectionwise I thought Field and Stream was decent, not Bass Pro but pretty far ahead of Gander Mtn and Cabelas. I stopped into Cabelas a few weeks ago to kill my lunch time as it was right between 2 jobs, I quickly remembered why I dont go there. I take 30 mins for lunch and was ready to leave 15 minutes after I got there and that was after walking the fishing and marine section twice.

#31 ·
The F&S Location was BAAAAAAAAADDDDDDD. it is not in the heart of Cary, while technically in cary it is on the fringe closer to Durham on Hwy 55. It is a terrible location for a big store like that. I said it when they opened that it was a horrible location.

2 things to learn from me and its the only 2 things I know. 1. 3 colors for smallies. Chartreuse, Chartreuse and Chrartreuse.

2 . the 3 most important things in retail. Location, location, location.

peace out.

#34 ·
Don't care too much about the big box stores cant never seem to find what Im looking for. Im going to have to stand behind EZ Bait & Tackle all day everyday. Good prices, awesome knowledgeable staff always have what Im looking for and if not something real close until they get what Im looking on the shelf and I love supporting local business (especially since they are right down the road from the house). Those guys even bought some home made lures from me last year. I have yet to find a tackle selection as big as EZ Bait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.