NC Angler Forums banner

Fly suggestion?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dylar 
#1 ·
I was fishing out of state last month and found a place where the smallmouth were biting on a 3.5" green pumpkin craw Papi by Yum. I tried many nymphs I had and only got bluegill. Does someone have a picture of a craw dad fly they have used and where to get one?

i have also found a good spot to target carp on the fly, not huge ones but probably 5lbs or so. Any suggestions for a carp fly?

thanks.

#6 ·
Generically, squirmies, San Juan worms, big buggy nymphs; hopper and cicada patterns can bring them to the surface. Maybe a little chum and a corn pattern on top of it, if you're so inclined.

I think it will often be really dependent on where you're fishing. Carp can and will eat pretty much anything, so often they're going to be eating whatever is locally abundant, so the "go to" fly is going to vary according to what's on the menu locally. In the Great Lakes, they're usually targeted the same big goby streamer patterns that are fished for smallmouth. In lake Jocassee in South Carolina, they follow the schools of blueback herring just like the bass and trout do. Carp are the ultimate feeding generalists.

#5 ·
Right now, damsel/dragonfly imitations seem to be king. Blue boggle bugs are killing it on several smallie flows I fish. Don't overlook big nymph patterns that imitate stoneflies and hellgrammites (for instance girdle bugs in like, size 6 or size 4 and Howell's Big Nasty). On the bigger rivers, we're about to enter the time when the big fish will start aggressively feeding on shad as they fatten up for winter, so you might want to start throwing some baitfish patterns on a sinking line, as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.