NC Angler Forums banner

Tent Camping Mountains & Coastal

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  mountain_man 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to try to get out and do some camping this fall and looking for suggestions. The last 20 years has been in a camper so not knowledgeable on tent camping areas. Looking for campsites on a River in the mountains and some coastal sites for when it gets colder this winter. I have looked at New River State Park and going to give this a go but that is all on my list right now. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
Davidson River Campground in Pisgah Nat'l Forest outside of Brevard is a great place to go. There is trout fishing in the river and in Avery Creek, hiking, the trout hatchery, dining in Brevard, Sliding Rock, Looking Glass Falls, tubing, swimming. It is open year round. Go to their website and check them out. The fall colors should be good in a couple of weeks. You will like it. Guaranteed.

#11 ·
Dave just got back from and was recommending Bear Den, which is off of the parkway not too far from Marion NC. I am not sure if they have tent sites. I bet they have a website, half of the fun for me comes in surfing for the particulars when planning a trip. I do remember from nearly 40 years ago that they have a pretty fishing pond, I saw my first HellBender in the stream feeding that pond.

Darrell

#12 ·
I agree on the surfing for planning a trip and seeing how the info you find stacks up to when you get there. I will see what info I can dig up on Bear Den today. Just did a check on my camping heater to see if it works to warm up the tent for the better half on a chilly morning.

#16 ·
Ted, we had an enjoyable time staying at RiverCamp USA, at Kings Creek along the S Fork New River, then put the yaks in and paddled to the canoe in only State park access a few miles upstream, south in this case, from Mouth of Wilson in VA at the 93 bridge. This would be primitive all the way, no electricity at either campground, the canoe in only access did have a hand pump for water. I did manage to dump my yak once in rapids along that stretch, but I did have it REALLY LOADED DOWN, trying to import our own fire wood.

As for tent camping at the coast, I did it once at Fort Fisher, bring your therma-cell and OBX skeeter beater, and maybe a bunch of mosquito netting and perhaps a throw-away ground cloth to avoid chiggers. Or maybe it won't be so bad with this cool weather. I don't think I'll be tent camping down there again till I have a chance of waking up with frost on the tent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.