NC Angler Forums banner

Fall Browns

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  RouseD 
#1 ·
I've been trying to wait out the low water, but today the cabin fever finally got to me. I couldn't stand it another day, so, low water or not, I left the house well before dawn to get my fish on. As expected, conditions were unfavorable, and despite carefully planned approaches and stealthy wading, I spooked 20 fish for every one I induced to eat. My hookset game was off, and I missed several good eats and LDRs abounded. Still, the day wasn't totally without rewards.

See less See more
#9 ·
Some large browns were actively on redds; I watched one fish chase small bows away for about 10 minutes. Others were still staging, and could be spotted in pods resting in the deep holes. My most notable successes came tightlining heavy nymph rigs to these pods, although my fishing buddy pulled an exceptional bow out of a tailout just below a series of large redds. With a lot of eggs in the system, egg patterns were the meal ticket.

#11 ·
The big river 15 miles downstream was running at 36 CFS. There ain't no water in that creek, either. This section is near a small residential community, and the stream's course has been straightened and channelized in places, so it doesn't show much dry bank, even when the water drops.

#13 ·
Got back out to fish in the rain, but more rain fell than expected and it quickly blew out, but I managed to get a few licks in first. Recently found a net on another flow, but managed to lose it somewhere along the way. The river giveth, and the river taketh away. Junk flies (worms and eggs) were the order of the day.

Browns are so pretty. (I've only caught a handful in my life, as I have only trout fished a couple of times). That bow is unique looking. I guess it's a bow, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.