Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holt's Pond

Default Holt's Pond

I've always wanted to fish in Holt's Pond. It's on Hwy 70 between Goldsboro and Smithfield. Looking at an aerial shot, it appears that the boat launching area on the south end of it has been fenced off and probably made available only to homeowners in the adjoining subdivision.
    Is the pond accessible to just anyone?
    Who would I contact for permission?
    Thanks for any feedback.
    Regards,
    Tim
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Default Re: Holt's Pond

I don't know but that pond has been there for a long time. Should be some nice bass in that area....great looking water.

<*)))))>{
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Used to be great fishing there. I grew up fishing Holt's pond. It's pretty much privatized now Gotta keep us riff raff out.

Quote Originally Posted by capt. mike View Post
    Used to be great fishing there. I grew up fishing Holt's pond. It's pretty much privatized now Gotta keep us riff raff out.

lol
    That's kind of how I saw it, too.
    It is a pretty piece of water, though.
    Regards,
    Tim

My dad used to duck hunt there when he was growing up in goldsboro, dont know the case now though.
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator
    Follow NCFishingReport on Twitter!

That brings back memories the ducks I have hanging on the wall all came from either Holt's pond or Holt's lake on the otherside of Smithfield. I've spent quite a few mornings waiting for the sun to come up at both places.

You could most likely access the water from the right of way between the bridges on US Hwy 70. Otherwise you would need to ask a homeowner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic1790 View Post
    You could most likely access the water from the right of way between the bridges on US Hwy 70. Otherwise you would need to ask a homeowner!!!
    Not possible there, I don't believe.
    How about this bridge north of the pond. Looks like a creek feeds it and maybe I could access the creek inside the orange circle. Anyone know about this bridge?

http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/da.../holtspond.jpg

Are you guys referring to Holts pond or Holts Lake? Are they one and the same? The only one I found on maps.live.com was Holts Lake near Four Oaks, which is exactly what I think you're referring too. Did anybody get a chance to fish it lately? Just clarifying.

LH28
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end waiting a jerk on the other.

Holt's Pond is private. They made it private last year. My uncle graciously lent me his key. We fish it 2-3 times a week when the weather is right. Lots of 3-4 pounders. Biggest one we have caught was around 8 1/2 pounds. That place is weird sometimes. They are either killing it or you can't get them to bite. I love to fish there because only 1 or 2 homeowners actually fish. Not a lot of pressure on the fish.

Default You have a nice opportunity...enjoy it!

What you say is not surprising. It's a beautiful piece of water. I rode by there this past weekend and could see a lot of the underwater structure exposed because of the low water level.
    If I could get in there from a public access, like on Bizzell Church Road, would it be trespassing?

Quote Originally Posted by LunkerHunter28 View Post
    Are you guys referring to Holts pond or Holts Lake? Are they one and the same? The only one I found on maps.live.com was Holts Lake near Four Oaks, which is exactly what I think you're referring too. Did anybody get a chance to fish it lately? Just clarifying.

LH28
    It's west of Princeton and east of Selma on hwy 70.
    Here is a link to an overhead shot from Google.
    http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/da.../holtspond.jpg

3528'5.65"N

7811'15.58"W
    LunkerHunter28 likes this.

I take it is the one circled in orange? what's the body of water in the bottom rt hand corner?

LH28
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end waiting a jerk on the other.

Yes
    The circle is the public road/bridge crossing the creek/canal leading to the north end of the pond, at lower right. It would be difficult to get through the stickups into the pond from what that picture shows. But sometimes pictures don't tell the whole story. Since I kayak, I look for bodies of water that are marginally navigable anyway. If I ever tried this route, I'd like to know if I could be arrested beforehand.
    Tim
    LunkerHunter28 likes this.

There is no way to access from the creek side. I have tried it on a small john boat. Way too thick vegetation and the creek widens way out so it is real shallow about 300' across. Best bet is to put in at the bridge with a canoe or kayak. I'm still not sure of the laws out there though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast