NC Angler Forums banner

Holt's Pond

Lake 
17K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  lawnman35 
#1 ·
I've always wanted to fish in Holt's Pond. It's on Hwy 70 between Goldsboro and Smithfield. Looking at an aerial shot, it appears that the boat launching area on the south end of it has been fenced off and probably made available only to homeowners in the adjoining subdivision.
Is the pond accessible to just anyone?
Who would I contact for permission?
Thanks for any feedback.
Regards,
Tim

#9 ·
Are you guys referring to Holts pond or Holts Lake? Are they one and the same? The only one I found on maps.live.com was Holts Lake near Four Oaks, which is exactly what I think you're referring too. Did anybody get a chance to fish it lately? Just clarifying.

LH28

#10 ·
Holt's Pond is private. They made it private last year. My uncle graciously lent me his key. We fish it 2-3 times a week when the weather is right. Lots of 3-4 pounders. Biggest one we have caught was around 8 1/2 pounds. That place is weird sometimes. They are either killing it or you can't get them to bite. I love to fish there because only 1 or 2 homeowners actually fish. Not a lot of pressure on the fish.

#11 ·
You have a nice opportunity...enjoy it!

What you say is not surprising. It's a beautiful piece of water. I rode by there this past weekend and could see a lot of the underwater structure exposed because of the low water level.
If I could get in there from a public access, like on Bizzell Church Road, would it be trespassing?

#14 ·
Yes
The circle is the public road/bridge crossing the creek/canal leading to the north end of the pond, at lower right. It would be difficult to get through the stickups into the pond from what that picture shows. But sometimes pictures don't tell the whole story. Since I kayak, I look for bodies of water that are marginally navigable anyway. If I ever tried this route, I'd like to know if I could be arrested beforehand.
Tim

#15 ·
There is no way to access from the creek side. I have tried it on a small john boat. Way too thick vegetation and the creek widens way out so it is real shallow about 300' across. Best bet is to put in at the bridge with a canoe or kayak. I'm still not sure of the laws out there though.

#16 ·
the pond is off limits to everyone now it is owned by deacon jones and you use to be able to fish it because it had puplic access but he wanted to keep people from fishing in the pond behind his house which is on the right side of 70 on the west side of the bridge so he bought all the land around it and developed it and closed the fishing and the guy who stays on the creek at the head of the pond works for him and he will have you charged with tresspassing if he catches you in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.