NC Angler Forums banner

Kayak Trolling From the Ground Up (Input Needed)

10K views 68 replies 17 participants last post by  Mike333h 
#1 ·
So, I've sold my Pescador 12' kayak due to a shoulder injury that really nags me when I paddle very much, especially in the wind or against current. I'm looking to pedal-driven yaks now, and I'm also very interested in trolling lakes for whatever will give me entertainment.

I'd appreciate some guidance on kayak selection for trolling. I'd also appreciate some guidance on depth-finders for a kayak.

The gear and tackle I think I have down pat. I had some luck trolling with my Pescador by paddle at Lake Norman back in March on a very windy day. The aftermath of the paddling all day in the heavy wind about done my shoulder in. It was close to unbearably painful for weeks. That day I had luck catching spotted bass on Shad Raps trolled behind me as well as casting to docks with them and with plastics.

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/82433-Lake-Norman-Kayak-Fishing-Report-Today

Any input is very much appreciated. I plan to fish most lakes within an hour or so from me.

#2 ·
I love trolling and pretty much spend about 90 percent of my time trolling. I have a Hobie PA and love the Mirage Drive for this. I was talking to a friend yesterday about how high the prices have gone up on pedal drive kayaks plan crazy. I had a Raymanrine DragonFly on my old boat that I sold and to me the best GPS/Fish finder I have ever owned. I took advantage of the Black Friday deals and bought a new DragonFly 7 Pro for my PA to replace the Lowrance Elte DSI that is on there now. I also installed a down rigger for targeting fish in deep water but haven't had the time to put it to good use yet but plan on doing more this winter. Have you found any pedal drive kayaks that you think you would like and the big question is how is your budget for purchasing one. If you lean towards a Hobie PA I can hook up with you and let you take mine for a spin.

#5 ·
I had an Outback. it was a great boat and did a good job. It is nice to be able to roll with the rods in front of the seat, it make it east to keep and eye on both rods.

I am using a Lowerance Elite 3 on my boat now. I have no issues with it. I mount my transducers to shoot through the hull. I have been told this does not work with side image FFs

Darrell

#10 ·
The Outback was a good boat, it just did not suit me. I like the fins over the propeller because when you push either peddle forward the fins come up against the bottom of the yak letting you float over shallow points, or other obstacles. The new ones have reverse but I am not sure about how much trouble it is to switch it over.
I am a paddler now with no intentions of switching over.

Send a PM to Echerd he has a Ultimate Propel, he has had it for years and always had good things to say about it.

Darrell

#18 ·
The Predator PDL is set up so that you can have either a pedal drive, storage or electric motor drive, they mount in the same location.

The good thing is that it appears that there will be a lot more pedal/electric drive kayaks to choose from next year, hopefully the competition brings the pricing down. Kayaks have almost gotten to the level of some micro skiffs.

#19 ·
Hello Wademaster. I have 2 12' Hobie PA's and 1 Hobie Outback. I love the PA but to be fair I have never sat my butt in the Outback. I have no reason to because I mainly fish lakes and deep rivers (Eno). I am 6'3" 240 lbs with good balance and can stand up and move around when I need to. Once you get a pedal yak you will not want anything else. You would not want to put a PA in the New River in the NC mountains because the fins need about 1 foot to operate. Also I would not want to have to paddle very far in a PA. I think you could use an Outback in the New River and paddle without any issues as it is not as wide or heavy as the PA. One big thing with the PA's is you will not want to load this on top of a car or suv. You will need a truck or a trailer. With the 12' PA I can put it in the back of my truck without a extender.(8' bed + tailgate) I think if I had the 14' pa I would have to use the extender on the truck. I have been kicking around the idea of selling the Outback as this was bought for the wife which she does not use. But with a 16 year old that loves to fish and bring friends with him it still does get used. The main reason for maybe selling it is I now have a boat and it maybe time to get rid of some toys.

I have the Lawrance Elite on the PA's and very easy to install. The Hobie has a built in transducer mount from the factory and make it very easy to install and you never have to worry about it coming off.

It is about time for me to go visit the Parents that live on Lake Norman(exit 28) and I always bring the yaks with me. I would not mind letting you try them out. Maybe even put in a little fishing time together as well. I also love to troll the x rap at Norman. I grew up on Norman and do have a few good spots close to the parents house.

#21 ·
Just bought the Old Town Predator XL MK. This model has a 45LB thrust MinnKota trolling motor built in. The motor is swappable for a flat bottom, electronics console, and Im not sure but possibly the pedal drive system as well. The yak also has pedal steering for the rudder so you can fish and troll at the same time. Havent taken it out yet but will post when I do. Every where Ive read says that you can get up to 6mph in this yak with the trolling motor. There are several videos on youtube. Definitely a sweet looking ride worth checking out.

#23 ·
I'm still a newby to fishing, but have both an Outback and a Hobie Revolution13 bought a year later for my wife. I love the Outback. It's probably wider than you're used to with a paddle kayak, but that adds space for stuff while rigging and makes it stable enough for some standing. I've only stood on calm days, but haven't swam yet!! The Outback is 12' but loads pretty easily into a shortbed 5.5' truckbed and I haul it without an extender. It's still 80 lbs with rigging, so probably heavier than your paddle kayak. It comes with 4 moulded in rod holders with 2 in the cockpit so trolling is really easy. I've learned to never peddle anywhere without pulling something in the water.

I've only fished the Revo once myself, but have loaned it to friends who did fine with it. It's a much tighter cockpit without the handy storage space and it's much tippier, so I had no inclination to stand. I added forward rod holders for trolling but it's not as convenient as the Outback. The Revo weighs about the same, but it feels much lighter and is easier to load (even though longer). They make an 11 foot which would be even lighter. I'd be hesitant to put the Outback on top of a car by myself, but the Revo would be fine. The great thing about the Revo is it moves through the water really nicely with little effort. It's a great cruiser.

Both mine are wired for Lowrance Elite FF's which was pretty easy as mentioned earlier. All the Hobie dealers have demo days and you can try each to feel the differences and compare.

#24 ·
Hey Gang....I have been chatting with WadeMaster offline via PMs for a few days and since I had done this comparison for people here in JAX, I thought that I might as well post it here, based on the last few posts.

ReelPure was right on about the "reverse capability" of the new Hobie Mirage Drive....good input!!
Here is my PM to WadeMaster a couple of days ago:

Wademaster: I just want one that's reliable. The reverse is helpful i think. I could really care less about brand name.
LOL!!!
JOHN: Well, since I can sell ALL OF THESE, I have NO vested interest since I get paid for any of them!! LOL!!!

(1) HOBIE MIRAGE DRIVE KAYAKS by far have the most experience since they introduced their Mirage Drives (pedals) in 1997 on the Hobie Mirage kayaks. They are HQ and built in Oceanside, CA. They came out with the Outback model in 2001, and it remains their biggest seller....not TOO heavy at 82# without the pedals and seat, 12' 1" length, and wide enuff to be stable at 33", and has a wt. capacity of 400#. Open water and even the ocean is fine for them too!!

(I have the Revolution 11 that I won for a $20 raffle ticket in the JKF Classic tourney...11' 6" long, 29" wide, 64#, and a 275# capacity. They make a Revolution 13 which is slightly longer, bigger, etc.) I have been timed at 7.2 MPH in mine and I was not sprinting...but running from a thunderstorm gives you extra energy!!

The Pro Angler 12' and 14' models are the top of the line...bigger, heavier and more $$$.

(2) NATIVE SLAYER with PROPEL DRIVES: Build up in NC and have used the Propel (propeller) Drive that pedals like a bicycle...and has Reverse!! (The Hobie added Reverse this year in the 2017 models).
Native is now owned by Hurricane Kayaks also in NC...the did a "merger" last year since neither company was doing well financially. The Propel Drives have been out for probably 7-8 years. In the Slayer models, they can only go 4.5 mph based on their hull design. They require ALOT more care and maintenance and lubing since water (SALTWATER down here) can get inside their "sealed" covers. They weigh 18-19# compared to the Hobie Drive which weighs 6.6#.
They require approx. 18-19" of water in which to operate, or you removed them....the Hobie fins only require 3-4" of water and they can still operate, altho not full speed, in water that shallow.
On the Hobie Mirage Drives, all gears and parts and chains, etc. are stainless and they only need to be rinsed thoroughly after use, and spritzed with WD-40. The Native Slayers cost almost exactly what a Hobie of equal dimensions and size costs.

3. PERCEPTION AND WILDERNESS SYSTEMS PEDAL KAYAKS....are sister kayaks built up in South Carolina, and the Perception is always less expensive than Wildy....more cost efficient you might say!! They are "announced" products, since ICAST last summer, and have not started shipping yet. There will be several models eventually, and they appear to cost $300 - $500 less than Hobie or Native. They will use a pedal and propeller drive system similar to the Native Slayers.....since Hobie has a World Wide Patent on the Mirage Drives.

Wademaster: What's the best value for the money? Thanks!

If you could find a GOOD, USED Hobie from someone you know and trust...I would grab it!!! Only the NEW 2017 Hobies have the reverse, but later next year....2017....the Reverse Mirage will be available as a "replacement" for previous models, which may create a good used market for buyers like you!!
I would NOT buy a Used one without a test pedal on open water...like a lake or large pond.....

PRICING: We cannot quote discounts on new Kayaks since that violates our Dealer Agreement.
However, we can discount older models, even if they are still brand new, like any of the 2016 models. We can discount even deeper our Demo Models that are in our showroom....which is 12 steps from our dock on a 22 acre spring fed F/W lake!!!

That's about it I think...more questions are welcome of course. I am NOT trying to compete with the NC kayak dealers...just providing information for you. I wish that you were closer and could test pedal both Hobie and Native Slayer products, and YOU would see the differences!!! Take care....John

#25 ·
Well stated John! Like I said even though I did not keep the Mirage that I had I think it is a quality product and found no flaws with the function or quality. It did not fit me, but I am sure one of the prop type boats would not by any better. If it weren't for the fact of needing to trailer a PA I would have been searching CL for a deal.

Darrell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.