NC Angler Forums banner

Today's adventure thought I had a big big bass

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  spidey 
#1 ·
Got out today to one of my favorite spots and tried working chatter bait and cranks with no luck. Finally switched to a senko working the usual pattern of late. With the wind blowing line was all over the place. FInally I feel a bump and drop the line to make sure it was bite versus a rock etc. finally see the line start tightening and moving so set the hook. When I set the hook my bicep almost cramped up with the mass on the other end. fish starts running and swirls a few time makes a bunch of great runs pulling drag like crazy but never jumped just big swirls and turns in other direction. Finally get the fish near enough T to see and instead of a BIG ole bass I had a huge bowfin on. Had it just hooked in jaw weighed in at 8.5 pounds and the picture is showing it next to my back to back size 13 feet.

What at agreat fight never caught a bowfin before had heard recently of folks catching them in the lake since some kid du pled a bucket full in about 7 years back and had a few hook sets last year that came back with clean cut lines.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
i can't imagine fighting it on a fly rod but than again I have never used a fly rod. My med heavy 6 6 rod was well bent during the fight.

Reactions: dbeam
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.