NC Angler Forums banner

What's a good bait right now?

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Mechanic Bob 
#1 ·
Any good lures??
Sadly, local bass are losing interest in my top water favorites for now. A friend is catching a few on minnows. We are bank fishing mostly, in farm ponds. Thanks!

#2 ·
In ponds, white floating worms or flukes will still catch fish. Fish them weightless and rigged on the hook "texas style". Could also try some senko type worms rigged "wacky style". Weightless on that one, too.

Reactions: bccfish
#9 ·
hey I did finally get one on the red eye yesterday first one since. spring. Senkos is whats working for me and the lips of the fish are very red. If you want to do a red eye. Throw it and let it sink to the bottom, say a quick prayer and start a VER VERY VERY Slow retrieve with rod held very high in the air. This seems to help prevent the snags. I have also had great luck with chatterbaist when water cools ( my PB came on Jan 15 2016 ) again slow retrieve and I use a fluke as my trailer. BTW haven't seen ya around at all this year were ya hiding :)

#7 ·
Conventional wisdom makes everyone say SLOW SLOW SLOW and when you think you are fishing slow, slow down some more. That is not always the case, moving baits still work in cold water and work very well. Bass do not get as extremely sluggish and on hunger strike as many believe they do when the water gets cold. There have been alot of times in the dead of winter where I have had fish just inhale my crankbaits, knocking slack in the line to the point I can barely catch up to them. Also see alot of bass that I catch that will have shad tails and crawfish whiskers hanging out of their throats... that doesnt say sluggish and not eating to me. I fish at a fairly fast pace in cold water just like I would any other time of year, they will still eat and react.

#16 ·
With the weather getting colder, I usually try to go slower and brighter. That means weightless worms or flukes, usually white. The fish are going to be more lethargic than in the summer and only eat if they think they have a real good chance of making up for the energy they used to attack. Slow is the key this time of year.

#17 ·
I usually downsize my bait in colder water along with the 'slow down' mentality. I also think that cloudy overcast days (especially those preceded by mild weather) gets the fish more active. Bluebird skies usually don't produce as well in warm or cold weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.