NC Angler Forums banner

Papa Dave memorial White Bass trip (1st annual, I hope)

RED X 
36K views 227 replies 36 participants last post by  J Scott 
#1 ·
Many of you know him better from the saltwater side... but to me, Dave always brings the thoughts of white bass on the Eno River. Piloting his side console ark on the Eno or Flat river, a cigarette in his mouth, and a great story and advice always on his lips.

Since MANY of us have fished with him on the Eno and other places, I would like to organize a M&G on the Eno River. It will be a one day event, no camping scheduled, likely followed by a meal in a restaurant nearby.

Dave preferred the relative quiet of weekdays.... So I am going to suggest that we do this on Thursday April 13. Two people who know the area tell me that this is likely to be about in the middle of the white bass run. Scheduling this on a weekday also means that we won't be monopolizing the boat ramp.

Meet about 7:30 at the Red Mill boat ramp. The ramp is public, and open to all.. Power boats and kayaks welcome.

In this area, the Eno has the slightest current. It is not difficult at all to paddle a few miles upstream to near Penny's Bend, or paddle back from a short downstream journey to the Flat River.

Let me know if you are interested.

Likely Attendees

Biglenr
Dbeam
Froggy Waters
Solo Skiff Fisherman
Bluegill
Snowcamp
H2Ohhhh
Swampin (maybe)
J Scott (maybe)
agger
GremlinsRus
Evblue
Fanopoe
NcPierman
Basswrangler
Quest4Reds
blind squirrel
glockmaster
johnyaksjax
Raymond Wells
Hellomcfly2
Justin16
Plowboy +1
Bluemoon
slabsndank

See less See more
#212 ·
All right all... I will be at the ramp before 7:00.... See y'all then. You have my number if you need to reach me between now and then.

Goal #1.... Dave's son Shu needs to catch a fish. If you get on a school, call Darryl and have him bring young Mr Pascal to the spot.

Reactions: RaymondWells
#217 ·
Well after busting tail at work all week to be able to have off the boss told me a had to work. Hope y'all catch them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#219 ·
We had about 7 take the kayak float from Penny's Bend to Red Mill road ramp. From what I was told the white bass were within a few hundred yards of Penny's Bend, and no fish were caught after that and the ramp.

This means... Ray Wells was off the water before I was !!!! (Sorry for blocking your car Ray, I didn't think that was possible)

From Red Mill, we had 4 kayaks and 4-5 power boats. Darrell piloted the Sea Ark, taking Masha and Shu out, but unfortunately... Shu was skunked :(

I was a skinny 10 inch crappie away from a skunk.

The white bass were as far as they could get upstream on the Eno at Penny's Bend, and on the flat at the end of navigatibe waters.

A few were caught, but we didn't catch as many as we hoped.

A good meal was had, and a good time was had by all who showed up.

Thanks all for showing up.

I have no pictures... Sorry

#220 ·
Had a great day floating with Evan, Ray, and Justin! The weather was great and as biglenr said most of the fish were either caught at the beginning of the trip or at the end. I managed to land about 10 white bass, 5 white crappie (my first of this species), 1 small channel cat, and more bluegill then I could or bothered to count. On a side note, I caught my first long ear bluegill which was another first for me.

Thanks to all the great company, looking forward to fishing with all of you again.

Water Boat Sports equipment Watercraft Paddle

#221 ·
Ray and Justin scored multiple fish early on the float from Penny's Bend. Matt caught a catfish and a few bream. I caught one 4" sunnie. Ray needed to head back while Matt, Justin and I loaded up and headed for another spot. Unfortunately Justin was taken out by a vehicular issue. Matt and I pressed on finished the day with consistent action on whites and crappie. Good to see you guys and looking forward to Kerr Scott. Water Watercraft Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Outdoor recreation
Water Boat Paddle Sports equipment Watercraft
Water Plant Plant community Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape
Water Boat Plant community Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

#223 ·
Ray and Justin scored multiple fish early on the float from Penny's Bend. Matt caught a catfish and a few bream. I caught one 4" sunnie. Ray needed to head back while Matt, Justin and I loaded up and headed for another spot. Unfortunately Justin was taken out by a vehicular issue. Matt and I pressed on finished the day with consistent action on whites and crappie. Good to see you guys and looking forward to Kerr Scott.
Glad you all got into them! Sounds like definitely worth the change of location. Though I have to say it was a pricey move for me but I'm glad you two finally got into good white bass action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#222 ·
Sounds like you got into them in once you went over to the flats. Sorry I didn't go with you but felt really tired and knew I had a 2.5 hour drive ahead of me. Sorry I fell down on the picture taking job this time Len. Thanks Len for organizing the event sorry I missed seeing Masha and Shu and everyone else at the meal. I think the early morning, the drive and the pollen just took its toll on me. Had fun catching a few white bass early on in the float. I've not caught very many but they sure put up a fight in the same category as a smallie as far as the fight goes. It was fun fishing and seeing everyone. Looking forward to hooking up again sometime soon.

#224 ·
Thanks for organizing Len, and nice to see you guys out there. Landed one nice white bass, lost another good one in the rocks. Couple channel cats and a perch. But glad to get the white bass off my bucket list, going to Try it out in the oil tonight. Got a couple pictures I'm having trouble posting. Look forward to seeing you guys again soon.

#226 ·
Bryan and I fished all day in the Gheenoe and as always the boat did well navigating the Eno and Flat. We spent almost all of the day in the upper flat where we put 27 fish on the clicker so we had a decent day and we released all of the fish. The fish put in the boat were a mied bag of white bass, bream, largemouth bass, a chub and some perch.

As always with our meet and greets tt was nice to meet some new folks however, more importantly it was nice to see Masha and Shu.

It was a beautiful day with some awesome people celebrating, by fishing, the life of Papa Dave. He is missed by a lot of us who knew him well and I'm sure he was watching over us while he he himself was fishing with us.

Here are a few pics.

#228 ·
Shout out to Big Len for putting this together. As usual an awesome time with the Red X'ers. Good to see old faces and meet some new people. Fished upstream on the Eno with most of the power boaters with nothing to show for it. We all moved up the flat to rendezvous with Glockmaster and Grems. Didn't have much luck up there either. Total count for the day 1 White bass and 1 crappie Hope to see everyone soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.