NC Angler Forums banner

Going to absolutely hate myself...

9K views 66 replies 32 participants last post by  basswrangler 
#1 ·
But I followed the crowd and just spent $17 on a new frigging whopper plopper...

I have never caught a topwater fish in my life, and think this might give me a chance at it. Even though this is at least twice as big as any lure I've ever used in my life.

But I am going to HATE myself when I lose that thing. And I WILL lose that thing, that is the ultimate fate of all lures.

I already hate the fact that I was so desperate to catch a topwater fish that I plunked down that much money for a single lure.

#43 ·
Been giving some thought about trolling these just fast enough to get that buzz sound going. Usually run 2 lines so 1 deep and the Whopper on the other line. Thoughts on trolling one, good idea or probably just wasting my time.

#44 ·
I think it might be worth giving it a shot but I am not sure if the trolling speed of the kayak will keep the tail moving properly. From the all the research I have done, it is best to use the retrieve and stop for two or three seconds to work best. When I caught that guy I was retrieving between an exposed stump and an exposed branch about 5 feet away from the stump. I casted past them and would retrieve and stop...also made sure to stop between them. That little guy exploded on it on the stop. Also I have noticed that the hook set was extremely easy on this lure.

#48 ·
So....

I officially hate myself.

It lasted 3 casts... then the line broke (10lb flouro leader) on the 4th cast, and it took off. I was bank fishing, no way to recover.

My experiments with the whopper plopper are now over. I hate losing expensive lures.

#54 ·
I rarely try, but I have never caught a fish topwater... that's what made the stupid $17 lure appeal to me.

If you want to find it, it's somewhere near the I-77 bridge over the Reed Creek arm of Lake Norman.

Reactions: wademaster
#64 ·
Len,

At least this didn't happen to you with your first one like it did me Saturday, no better way to ruin topwater at sunset then this :mad:

View attachment 137434
Yep, that sure is a lousy way to end the day! I have not had that happen "YET". I have been lucky enough not to have them that deep. I am not sure what I would do, I would like to think push it through and try an cut the tip and barb. Guess I will not know until the time comes.

#60 ·
Should you decide to get the urge of trying one again I'd advise against the 10 pound fluoro leader. If you must use a leader, 20-30 pound mono will be way better. That bait weighs a lot so casting it off on a light leader like that is bound to happen sooner or later. Plus, fluoro sinks which is counterproductive with a topwater. I throw mine on straight 30 pound braid which is the same setup I use for buzzbaits.

#62 ·
That is likely the problem... to me, 10lb is heavy line (most of my reels are spooled with 4lb or 6lb). I never expect to catch a 10lb fish. My inshore rods / bass rods (they do double duty) are spooled with 10 or 15lb braid. I had 10lb braid on the line, but tried the leader since I have no idea what I am doing topwater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.