Eno crappie run
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eno crappie run

Default Eno crappie run

Hey guys, I was just wondering when the crappie start up the eno river. I wanna try fishing the spring run this year but have no clue when they even start heading upstream. Thanks for any tips!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've never fished there in the spring. The best fishing time in years past were November thru February. Hopefully someone will come along and give you some helpful info. Falls Lake should produce some good crappie fishing this spring.

Yeah I've never even actually fished the eno, but during hunting season I remember seeing boat after boat reeling crappie and white bass or perch in one after the other. I just thought I'd heard they made a spring run too, maybe I heard wrong. I'm about to pick up a kayak for river/ small water fishing and always liked going on the eno with my John boat so I figured I'd see when the crappie and perch or white bass run

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

wondering the same as well, guess you don't know until you try. don't even know where to start. my fiancee and i have hiked the trails several times and always forget to bring the fishing poles to give it a try. looks like a lot of good spots to try

Read somewhere that Crappie use 13 + hours of daylight as a trigger to start spawning and quit at 14+ hours. That sounds like the first couple of weeks of April so they should start staging sometime in March?
    All men are equal before fish - Herbert Hoover
    Red X Angler

OK so I think what I was thinking of is the spring white bass run, I've heard they start late February or early March so it's probably still a little early. Anyone have any good success stories of white bass on the eno? I can't wait to try it out I've heard they can get real thick
    trangler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenfield View Post
    OK so I think what I was thinking of is the spring white bass run, I've heard they start late February or early March so it's probably still a little early. Anyone have any good success stories of white bass on the eno? I can't wait to try it out I've heard they can get real thick
    Think you're on the right trail now.
    sboro likes this.

Look up the "Papa Dave Memorial White Bass Trip" Meet and Greet, its April 13th on the Eno and fishing is for white bass AND crappie.
    Solo Skiff Fisherman likes this.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

I used to believe that when the dogwoods bloom, the fishing booms. However, the dogwoods are blooming waaay to early. I think the sunlight thing is correct. For the most part the crappie really start biting on falls and the eno during March Madness which as stated above pretty much correlates with early-mid April.
    hardydk1 likes this.

Many of the big crappie go on the beds considerably ahead of when the dogwoods bloom. I do think a bulk of the other fish will bed during the time frame you desvribed though.

Quote Originally Posted by dmason390 View Post
    I used to believe that when the dogwoods bloom, the fishing booms. However, the dogwoods are blooming waaay to early. I think the sunlight thing is correct. For the most part the crappie really start biting on falls and the eno during March Madness which as stated above pretty much correlates with early-mid April.

Are you guys mostly talking about the lower Eno (east/south of guess road)? I have fished the upper stretches in the state park and beyond a fair amount. Would like to get in on this crappie/white bass fishing though. Never caught any of them in the stretches i normally fish but these are mostly places a boat or kayak cannot navigate for long stretches. Also exclusively fish it in the summer as well.

The exact timing of the run varies. There is much speculation on the causes but in my experience the best way to beat the odds is to spend as much time on the river during March and April as you can. To hit a good run of them you have to be there when they are. The perch and white bass are the runners although some stay there all the time. Crappie are there all the time and can be caught using techniques used in the lake. I've caught them when it was tough to stay out there in the cold by fishing minnows in deep holes with structure. The bite will be slow but it was enough to keep me interested. With water temps rising there will be alot more boats on the river. When yousee that it is go time.

Yes, they are running. I went out last week where the Eno and Flatt converge. Every other boat was out there as well. Most boats were heading up the Flat for Whites and Crappies. They all had their fill. That was my first time there, and I was just trying to avoid the parade of boats....not very productive for me and my kayak. But I'd rather be out on the water.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/En...!4d-78.8237128
    sgrfmde452 likes this.

Sounds like I need to be on the water. I will be out there this Saturday morning. Anyone us live bait on the white bass or usually just artificial?

Sounds like I need to be on the water. I will be out there this Saturday morning. Anyone us live bait on the white bass or usually just artificial?
    White rooster tails is what I always catch them on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    EvBlue, and sgrfmde452 like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast