Understated musicians
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Understated musicians

Default Understated musicians

I wanted to start a thread to shed light on largely unknown musicians that deserve more recognition.....my first is John Hiatt. If you have never heard his music do yourself a favor and check it out on utube...an amazing songwriter...up there in the top tier imo. So much great music out there that doesn't get heard enough because people haven't been exposed to it. I have a special affinity for Hiatt cause his album Crossing Muddy Water helped me through the breakup with my girlfriend of 13 years. I was turned on to him when I was at my brothers girlfriends house some years ago. We would wake up early and play Hiatt or the grateful dead and a variety of others, eat a big breakfast and spend the day smallmouth fishing on the James river. Fond memories.
    EvBlue, Fishscalz, kevcoachk, and potterjon like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I also see Robert Earl Keen, James McMurtry & Lyle Lovette fitting that description. A lot of people have never heard them, but it's well worth the listen.
    dbeam, Discovery17, and ncdead like this.

Great thread subject!!!

What comes to mind her for me is the music of Rick Danko, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel, Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm. They form a group that a lot of people have heard their work and probably never knew what the name of the band was. Well these gentlemen went by the name 'The Band'. When I hear 'Understated Musicians' I think of The Band. The film 'The Last Waltz' which is their last ever performance and joined by some of the biggest names of the 70's is just amazing!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The list of such musicians is vast and varied. I am fortunate to live near a venue that is hands down one of the best in the area (or the country for that matter) when it comes to featuring such performers. Musicians that play here range from household names (before they were household names) to the up-and-comers that are pouring their souls into every song they write and play. If you are at all close enough to come to a show, I strongly encourage you to check this place out. You will not be disappointed

http://www.muddycreekcafeandmusichall.com/

I now return you to your regular programming
    basswrangler, and ncdead like this.

The "devil makes three" nears the top of that list for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dbeam likes this.

Jacob
    Red X Angler

Queen never got the acclaim they deserved. Although they did eventually have several hit singles and albums, it took a good while for them to really impact the rock scene. A very talented group, second only to the immortal Beatles in terms of musical ability.

It's kinda weird but the older I get the more I appreciate the lyrics Hunter wrote for the Dead. Doesn't get any better than "Brokedown Palace".

I'm a huge fan of Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings, esp. "Time (The Revelator)" and "Soul Journey". Good stuff to play on the way to the river...
    dbeam, and ncdead like this.

The allman bros are one of my go to bands for heading to the river.

Coastal Mountaineer, and dbeam like this.

Jacob
    Red X Angler

If you like some new bluegrass you have to check out Steep Canyon Rangers, Greensky Bluegrass and The Infamous Stringdusters.
    basswrangler, and dbeam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EvBlue View Post
    It's kinda weird but the older I get the more I appreciate the lyrics Hunter wrote for the Dead. Doesn't get any better than "Brokedown Palace".

I'm a huge fan of Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings, esp. "Time (The Revelator)" and "Soul Journey". Good stuff to play on the way to the river...
    I'm a dead head and have been for many years...and yes, hunter wrote some astounding songs...brokedown...attics of my life, friend of the devil, Althea....on and on and on. Have lots of wonderful memories of my times with my boys at those shows....awe, to be twenty again.
    dbeam, kevcoachk, and potterjon like this.

Went to the Merle Watson festival back in 92. It was the year they filmed it and broadcasted it on PBS. We went not being familiar with bluegrass but left a fan for life. I was blown away by doc Watson, tony rice, emeylou Harris, David grisman, Alison krauss, Peter rowen, Sam bush.....it was a fantastic couple of days.
    dbeam, and potterjon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    If you like some new bluegrass you have to check out Steep Canyon Rangers, Greensky Bluegrass and The Infamous Stringdusters.
    Love all of those guys. Add in the steeldrivers and maybe yonder mountain string band and now we're talking!

dbeam, and quest4reds like this.

Jacob
    Red X Angler

If you guys like southern rock/country you should check out Seth Stainback and Roosterfoot. There right here form the Outer Banks, as well as Barefoot Wade. Also if you ever have the chance to hear JJ Ball play you should definitely check him out. I went to school with him, hands down one of the best guitar players I've ever heard. Another NC band to look up is the Big Something. These guys are out of Mebane and will blow your mind. They have blown up over the past few years. I hit their shows as much as I can, love seeing them jamming live.
    dbeam likes this.

Oh and The Grateful Dead is always on top of the list. They are one of the most misunderstood bands of our time. ncdead is right you've got to listen to the lyrics. The songs get better each time you do, and the music is so relaxing.
    dbeam, and ncdead like this.

There's a documentary film called "The Wrecking Crew". I think it can be found on youtube. I'll try to find a link...
    It's the story of set musicians & who actually made the hits we heard on the radio. A very interesting watch...
    basswrangler, and dbeam like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast