Do gators come at kayakers?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do gators come at kayakers?

Default Do gators come at kayakers?

Firstly, I fully understand gators need their space to not feel threatened, but hear me out. You're in a creek with anomalously high numbers of bait, and ahead of you is a 7 foot long gator sunning on a mud bank at low tide. The creek bends, and is wide enough for you to pass by at 20-25 feet and potentially leave mr scaly sunning and unthreatened. Does that give reptar enough space, or is turning back the only practical option? In my recent experience, the gator slid into the water when we got about 100 feet away... a gator you can't see is like a spider you can't see and I split. I've also got a tarpon that sits down kinda close to the water and would feel more comfortable sitting higher up on a Larry chair - is this rational and/or safer or just something that would make me feel comfortable and more aware of my surroundings? Feel free to share opinions, but personal experiences and articles would be even better. Thanks y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jacob
    Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm not a biology expert, but I used to watch a lot of Discovery Channel, and lived in Florida for a while. Almost positive the gator sees you as a threat, not a prey item. I understand your trepidation, but I don't think you really have anything to be worried about, just give them space and don't drag a stringer of fish in the water where you know alligators are present. May want to give them a bit of extra room and avoid splashing in the water during "the breeding season, which, in North Carolina, occurs in May and June. Females lay between 30 and 45 eggs and will actively guard the nest until eggs hatch approximately 60 days later. They become more active as temperatures warm in early spring and will remain active, relatively speaking, through the early fall."

http://www.ncwildlife.org/News/wildl...-regulations-1
    dbeam, JBassAssassin, and kevcoachk like this.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

You lived in Florida AND watched discovery? PhD. No questions asked.

That's the sentiment I seem to be finding. Don't feed them, give them space, and stay away from the brood and you'll likely be good. It's the urban gators who get used to humans and can pose a threat

Jacob
    Red X Angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't worry too much about it and certainly wouldn't let it deter me from a spot. I would of course be aware of my surroundings just in case. I have never had any scary moments but have had gators around me and in very close proximity while in the yak. I did have one about 2 feet long eat a spook once while in the boat. He got really mad when I pulled him in the boat to remove the hook. He wanted it so bad, I wound up giving the spook to him. He probably recognized it as the spook that had caught hundreds of trout and wanted it for himself.

Here's a video from Scott Martin in the Everglades kayaking with gators. https://youtu.be/gTIbqE6FKc0
    Bleedingblue, bmac, and quest4reds like this.

Topwater gator? That's crazy!!! I'll use caution, but next time will probably ease around him in hopes of finding some fish. Thanks for the info and keep it coming!

Jacob
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about it and certainly wouldn't let it deter me from a spot. I would of course be aware of my surroundings just in case. I have never had any scary moments but have had gators around me and in very close proximity while in the yak. I did have one about 2 feet long eat a spook once while in the boat. He got really mad when I pulled him in the boat to remove the hook. He wanted it so bad, I wound up giving the spook to him. He probably recognized it as the spook that had caught hundreds of trout and wanted it for himself.

Here's a video from Scott Martin in the Everglades kayaking with gators. https://youtu.be/gTIbqE6FKc0
    I swear those spooks will catch just about anything! Trout, reds, bass, bonita, gators, seagulls, and I'm sure the list goes on.
    basswrangler likes this.

Red X Angler

Found something else for you with regards to gators, crocs, sharks, etc. Lightning may be of greater concern.

http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/N...ues/sharks.htm
    basswrangler likes this.

Red X Angler

I was wondering the same thing last Sat paddling up the White Oak in what looked like Gatorsville. I was thinking whether I should start carrying a .38 in a shoulder holster & started humming the old Jerry Reed song "Amos Moses."

Trigger: I was fishing down in LA a few years back with my buddy Butch & he hooked about a 3' Gator on a Spook. He pulled it back to the boat, grabbed that gator behind the head & got his Spook back. Don't mess with Butch!

Growing up in Louisiana we would wade fish, crab, swim and boat in areas with gators. They are very afraid of humans and anything that's not an easy meal. If you are yaking and see one on the bank and it goes in the water it's acting out of fear.
    basswrangler, and quest4reds like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EvBlue View Post
    Growing up in Louisiana we would wade fish, crab, swim and boat in areas with gators. They are very afraid of humans and anything that's not an easy meal. If you are yaking and see one on the bank and it goes in the water it's acting out of fear.
    Awesome, and very reassuring news. I appreciate it!

Jacob
    Red X Angler

My mama says that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no tooth brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Pelican View Post
    My mama says that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no tooth brush.
    That really explains it all.

Jacob
    Red X Angler

Check out SeaMoney fishing on the kayak and his encounter with a Gator.

https://youtu.be/6M55AmCNySA?t=16m13s

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Pelican View Post
    for those of you who live under a rock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-iTjlOawV4
    basswrangler, and JBassAssassin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mhkesler84 View Post
    for those of you who live under a rock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-iTjlOawV4
    What you got against living under a rock?
    Red X Angler

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast