Updating my flyfishing library

Thread: Updating my flyfishing library

Default Updating my flyfishing library

Hello....

I mostly post in the forum on the mountains but we live down here on the Gulf Coast of Alabama (what we affectionately call the "LA"...for Lower Alabama.

Like a lot of us, I kinda got away from buying books on saltwater flyfishing the last few years. I like Kendall and that stuff but, hey, I'm an old man (62) and still like the feel of good, old books.

What are some titles that you suggest?

I flyfish exclusively and it is almost always in the salt...except for the occasional bass, bream trip or my annual trek to your beautiful mountains. Also I love to tie.

Thanks for any suggestion you might have.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Depends somewhat whether you're looking for technical info or literature. For technical, hard to beat Lefty Kreh or Lee Wulff. For outstanding writing, story telling and literary value, Thomas McGuane is probably the dean (look for The Longest Silence). John Gierach's books are all great reads. The late Jack Gartside is a lot of fun to read, but his books are only available on his website. Of course Norman Mcleans's "A River Runs Through It" is at the top of most lists, but it's not really about flyfishing. Not about flyfishing, but an absolute gem for anyone who loves the outdoors is "The Old Man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark. The sequel isn't bad either.

I spent a little time down there in "LA" as a youngster tearing around the backroads near Brewton & the Blackwater forest in 4WDs & dirtbikes and sippin' & shuckin' at the old "Florabama Lounge." Perdido remains one of the prettiest beaches I've ever seen.

I'll add: Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis by Howell Raines, The Habit of Rivers by Ted Leeson and Flotsam and Jetsam The Collected Adventures, Opinions, and Wisdom from a Life Spent Messing About in Boats by Robb White (not so much about fishing, but a great read).
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO, Carolina Blue
    Native Ultimate 14.5. CCA Member

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis by Howell Raines
    I can second that!

Thanks for additional suggestions.

Might add "the river Why" - Awesome movie, too.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements