Belews (barely) fishing report 3/20/17 with mystery fish (sorry no pics)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belews (barely) fishing report 3/20/17 with mystery fish (sorry no pics)

Default Belews (barely) fishing report 3/20/17 with mystery fish (sorry no pics)

Went down to my dock on Sunday around noon just to piddle around. Watch boats, fire up my outboard just to let it run for a little while, etc.

Air temps were probably high 50's. Water temps I would guess are still in the high 40's. I tossed a cast net for about 30 minute and my hands were freezing in the process.

Probably saw about 1 boat every 15 minutes come by, including one very brave or nuts jet ski'er who didn't have a wetsuit or thermal suit on.

I threw a small 4" swim bait for about 30 minutes we as well...not expecting any hits, just slowly dragging it on the bottom b/c the water was still so cold.

Got hit hard about 1/2 way back to the dock and felt a heavy fish on the other side for about 15-20 seconds.....I got it up to the surface when the hook pulled out. I got a look at it and the fish was a dark black with some faded white in the scales. Definitely no green or browns.....it wasn't a bass. If it was a black crappie it was dark and HUGE.....like state record huge.....My instant reaction when I saw it was "freshwater drum", which I've googled but can't find any history of them being in Belews.

This google image sure looks very close to the color of what I saw break the surface. This is not me, just a random picture I found on google to demonstrate the color & approx size of the mystery fish I lost at the dock.

dbeam, EvBlue, and Fishscalz like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've caught freshwater Drum in the Dan River in Virginia, so it's very possible it was a Drum since Belews Lake is on tributaries that feed the Dan.

I have not caught one out of Belews, but that means nothing. Every once in a while I catch a Bullhead Catfish in that area too. I had a biologist tell me there were none in Belews Lake, but no one told the fish....
    dbeam likes this.

There are lots of things in Belews that no one knows how they got there, and some they do think they know but are unusual (like Tilapia). I'd say there is a good chance it was a freshwater drum, although I'm with you, I've never caught one there.

Cool story, though!
    - Sam
    2016 NauticStar 231c / 1972 Sears Alumacraft 16' Jonboat / Mohawk Intrepid 16' Canoe
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey, maybe I've discovered a new fishery

Man I sure do wish there were stripers in this lake though....I'd be trolling the depths and night fishing like crazy for them. It kills me because the lake topography is PERFECT for stripers......deep clear water, steep drop offs , underweater cliffs, and rock structures......not to mention schooling bait fish in wide expanses.

The dang water temps are just too warm in the summer though I guess.

Water temp that day 57 at South Ramp. It was slow at all my spots that day. Hopefully piranha will show up soon, which the lake could support hint,hint . That may curve the crazy wake borders. LOL Maybe you snagged a carp , there is tons of them in belews.

I've caught many 'a carp in my day and I'm positive for sure it wasn't a carp. Hey I'll be out on the water Saturday, probably with my old man on the boat with me. Air temp supposed to be 72 degrees. Gonna do some "everything" fishing...start out for bass, switch over to some bottom fishing for cats or white perch.

Anyone know where to buy minnows in the Belews lake area? I'd try to catch some off the dock in a trap but I haven't seen water temps warm enough for small fish to move up on the banks yet (nor am I sure it's even legal in this state...in GA it was illegal to have a minnow trap out )

Stores at the intersection of 68 and 158 .

Must be the store that's a little more run down and has bars on the window? Think it's called Countryside Market?"

B/c the Citgo on the other side only has nightcrawlers as far as I know. It's where I get my ethanol free gas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PontoonMike View Post
    I've caught many 'a carp in my day and I'm positive for sure it wasn't a carp. Hey I'll be out on the water Saturday, probably with my old man on the boat with me. Air temp supposed to be 72 degrees. Gonna do some "everything" fishing...start out for bass, switch over to some bottom fishing for cats or white perch.

Anyone know where to buy minnows in the Belews lake area? I'd try to catch some off the dock in a trap but I haven't seen water temps warm enough for small fish to move up on the banks yet (nor am I sure it's even legal in this state...in GA it was illegal to have a minnow trap out )
    I think you're good on the minnow trap idea. I believe you are supposed to keep an eye on the trap while it's being used. You can check it out here.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/...nGame_Fish.pdf

Closest I know for minners is bettys country grocery. Guns and Great fishing store. Tons of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishscalz View Post
    I've caught freshwater Drum in the Dan River in Virginia, so it's very possible it was a Drum since Belews Lake is on tributaries that feed the Dan.

I have not caught one out of Belews, but that means nothing. Every once in a while I catch a Bullhead Catfish in that area too. I had a biologist tell me there were none in Belews Lake, but no one told the fish....
    I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin with brown dog View Post
    I don't think so
    A little clarification, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishscalz View Post
    A little clarification, please.
    Belews is feed by a few small creeks no tie to the dan. Unless im missing something. No saying people couldt move fish but they cant swim there.

Belews Lake is in the Dan River Basin. Granted the dam has been there since the 70's, but the tributaries still have tied into the Dan in the past.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan River Basin.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	134754

I asked an old timer about this very topic he told me from dam 400 yards up steam was unpassable do to tiny falls. And fish kill on top of that almost Zero.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast