An eastern weekend
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An eastern weekend

Default An eastern weekend

I had a buddy from college come to town Friday for a professional license exam, so I talked him into staying the weekend and heading east after some feesh.

Day 1

4 AM came quite early. The forecast for the day worsened by the hour, but we were not deterred and launched the kayaks before sunrise. We were the only lunatics with kayaks here, and must have stood out, because someone asked if I was either Cody or basswrangler as we ran down the ramp with yaks. Sho'nuff, we had the pleasure of meeting Mechanic Bob out on the water!

We met swampin' in spot that had produced well for jbarefoot22 and I the weekend prior, and Jacob (my buddy, not me) caught the first shad of the day and his first ever only a few casts in. No sooner than he had pulled the little feller in, a guy who launched just after us in his john boat pulled up and dropped his cinder-block anchor right on top of that spot and said "we got up early to get this spot" and proceeded to cast in a manner that almost completely prevented us from fishing the spot we had certainly gotten up MUCH earlier to fish (I live almost 2 hours from there). Might I add we were there first? Anyways, Cody soon hooked up!
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	134306
    ...but our unfortunate neighbors continued to make fishing very unpleasant for us, casting over and tangling lines with great regularity. The rain did not wait til 11 AM, and pretty soon we were wet and frustrated, so we pulled anchors and drifted a little ways downriver. Cody found another nice white shad soon, and I was left chasing the skunk.

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	134322

Fast forward 30 minutes, and I found him!

Name:	17390752_1391896830861646_9058629963003170191_o.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	134226

And a little while later, his older brother

Name:	17388933_1391896834194979_2705555307429588328_o.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	134234

Everyone had caught fish, so we loaded up to dodge the rain for a few minutes and refuel before hitting the next spot in search of another famous anadromous fish, the striped bass. Cody awoke his ladyfriend Jenna and she joined us at the next launch, a smaller creek that joined this river and had a very healthy gator population. Jacob and I got a head start, and found some largemouths in tidal water, a first for me.

Name:	bass1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	134242

Cody and Jenna caught up and we paddled against the tide for a couple miles, casting for anything that would bite. Jacob caught another feisty largemouth en route, but the stripers were nowhere to be found. We finally arrived at a spot we hoped would produce, and Jacob's first cast, fish on!!! Butttttt it was a big white shad, and we fished this spot hard with no more bites. As the wind kicked up, we decided to paddle back before it got too late and while we still had the tide to help us back. Found a couple more largies on the way back

Name:	17359171_1391896874194975_7845379880292738035_o.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	134250

Name:	17240578_1391896864194976_8490911491269737540_o.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	134258

We tossed around the idea of heading to another spot, but got wind of a cookout going on back home, so off we went in search of hot dogs, hamburgers, and a cool beverage.

Day 2

4 AM came earlier than the day before, but there were fish to catch. We headed to a different river, and launched just a hair later than the day before and began our paddle upstream to a creek that I thought looked PERFECT from google earth. Turkey hens were making noise in the lowlands on either side of the river, and boats were blazing by us. No fish were caught on the way up, but we saw some cool stuff that only a geology nerd would appreciate. Holy crossbedding!

Name:	crossbed1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	134266

Anyhow, we made it to the creek mouth and pounded it with lures for an hour, but struck out. Oh well, at least we were outside and I was able to catch up with a good friend!

Name:	selfie.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	134282

We let the strong wind and current pull us back to the ramp, casting intermittently at any seams that looked good. Finally, this guy cooperated, and the day-long skunk was broken.

Name:	hick1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	134274

My toes were nearly frozen when we got back to the ramp, so we grabbed some hot food and coffee and contemplated our next move. Saltwater was on the mind, but 20 mph winds were not going to be conducive to fishing my usual spots. Onward to a neuse creek! We launched and padded upcurrent, fishing as we went. Nothing. Finally got back to the launch to be greeted by a little hickory shad beside the takeout. Figures! Continued casting yielded no more results. We packed up after having our licenses checked by one of the friendliest wildlife officers I have ever encountered. Hungry and defeated, we headed back towards Johnston County. We stopped in some local rapids that get shad when the water is right, but ended up just catching a couple gizzard shad. They were pretty sizeable, and catching a couple lent some entertainment to a slow day.

Name:	gizzard.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	134290

Name:	51165378287__2BE76656-C93A-48A6-BE9D-CBC53BD7BAA8.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	134298

Oddly enough, they were striking and getting hooked in the mouth. Began foul hooking them and left them alone, noting their location for getting catfish bait in the future.

There was nothing epic about the weekend, but there were no skunks, and I got to spend some time on the water with good friends. Low-key success is still success. Long post but thanks for reading!

Jacob
    Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As always, you guys put up some great reports! And btw, my wife was a Marine Geologist, so she would have been equally fascinated by the crossbedding!
    basswrangler likes this.

Greenmonster, thanks for even slightly appreciating the local sedimentary history!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dbeam, and Greenmonster like this.

Jacob
    Red X Angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It was great seeing you guys out there.

Rude boaters like you experienced I have no use for. That is why I anchored where I was. Also we seem to catch a lot more fish than those up were you started.

No doubt is was a rough weekend for fishing and thanks for the report.
    basswrangler, and Swampin' like this.

RETIRED 3/14/17 YEAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    It was great seeing you guys out there.

Rude boaters like you experienced I have no use for. That is why I anchored where I was. Also we seem to catch a lot more fish than those up were you started.

No doubt is was a rough weekend for fishing and thanks for the report.
    Agreed bob, y'all had the right idea and I can say with certainty that y'all were bowed up considerably more. Those guys were reeling straight with the current! Moving may have been to our advantage.

Mechanic Bob likes this.

Jacob
    Red X Angler

You guys definitely aren't scared to get up early. I wonder if that guy in the boat that came and took your spot would have done the same if you were in a boat? For some reason it seems people think you aren't serious if you're in a yak but in fact you're more serious because you're willing to paddle to the spots.

Quote Originally Posted by roostertail24 View Post
    You guys definitely aren't scared to get up early. I wonder if that guy in the boat that came and took your spot would have done the same if you were in a boat? For some reason it seems people think you aren't serious if you're in a yak but in fact you're more serious because you're willing to paddle to the spots.
    Haha we have to if we want the fun fish! It's hard to say what would have happened otherwise. These folks in particular would have likely done the same.

Mechanic Bob, and roostertail24 like this.

Jacob
    Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

Great report! Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by roostertail24 View Post
    10000000000000000000000% with you on that statement.
    Curly Pelican, Swampin', and Whitewater like this.

RETIRED 3/14/17 YEAH!

Fishing and boating etiquette, respect and courtesy goes along way. Too many stories of folks crowding out others or running over lines just to get the best spot. I see it all the time from the mnts to the coast in NC. How do we educate the masses on "respect" on the water?
    basswrangler, and Mechanic Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    Fishing and boating etiquette, respect and courtesy goes along way. Too many stories of folks crowding out others or running over lines just to get the best spot. I see it all the time from the mnts to the coast in NC. How do we educate the masses on "respect" on the water?
    That's a simple problem without a simple answer I'm afraid. My buddy loudly asked "how do you spell etiquette?" While we were being crowded. This of course cracked me up but didn't help us in the slightest.

Mechanic Bob likes this.

Jacob
    Red X Angler

sadly, you can't fix stupid

I see it all the time as well, people love to pull right up on me when I am fishing (I think its the red beard). I usually pick up and move to another spot. To me, part of fishing is finding the fish, but some people are just worried about how many fish they bring home and they don't seem to care how they get them.
    Mechanic Bob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ReelPrime View Post
    sadly, you can't fix stupid

I see it all the time as well, people love to pull right up on me when I am fishing (I think its the red beard). I usually pick up and move to another spot. To me, part of fishing is finding the fish, but some people are just worried about how many fish they bring home and they don't seem to care how they get them.
    I feel you on the red beard, folks just want to get as close as they can to take in the beauty of the mane!

Swampin' likes this.

Jacob
    Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    Problem is respect is not something that is easily "educated" it is something that is learned by example. We are moving toward a "me first" mind set in all areas, and kids are learning it from their elders.

Darrell
    lostnwilderness, and Mechanic Bob like this.

Red X Angler

"Problem is respect is not something that is easily "educated" it is something that is learned by example. We are moving toward a "me first" mind set in all areas, and kids are learning it from their elders. "

Don't get me started or Lewisfishing would have me banned for good!

RETIRED 3/14/17 YEAH!

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast