Quick trip up Helton

Thread: Quick trip up Helton

Default Quick trip up Helton

The Boss and I snuck up to the cabin this weekend. Rain Friday evening in to Saturday morning had the creek a little muddy and flowing well. I had some non-fishing things to handle Saturday morning so that was just as well and I was on the water by about 2:30, with conditions rapidly improving. Wind was up and air temp was maybe 55 degrees (felt colder with the wind for sure) and mostly cloudy skies.

Didn't wander too far from the cabin over the next 4 hours, finding fish in just about every spot I tried. Lots of brookies to hand, most of them liking a small (20?) red midge under a black wooly bugger that I was swinging through deep runs. A little twitch/pause at the end of the swing and BANG! So much fun.

Sunday was colder, with just a dusting of snow early and plenty of wind and more sun. The fish weren't chasing quite as aggressively, and I had better luck dead drifting various nymphs, using something gaudy and fluorescent for the top fly, which was the one they were taking more often than not. I covered more water Sunday and hit several holes I like, catching fish in most all of them. Ended the day trying a big sculpin-looking streamer, just to try it. I had my 4 wt rod and it really wasn't enough to chuck that big fly, especially with the wind howling, but I managed to get a couple of strikes, without ever getting a hook set.

No "big" fish to speak of but did manage a couple of decent brook trout around 13" or so. Never caught a brown so I reckon I'll have to go back soon. Dag Nabbit...

A pretty brookie from one of my favorite holes
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	FullSizeRender (27).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	134354
    Lots of trout ate something similar to this

Name:	Green_Weenie_Beadhead.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	134362
    Try this in a size 4 hook with a 4wt!

Name:	slumpbuster_black_large.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	134370

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Great report Rick.

Darrell
    Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

One of my favorite all around flies - slumpbuster with cone head.
    dbeam likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements