Strange casting issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange casting issue

Default Strange casting issue

I use a 4-piece rod and at least once or twice during my fishing day I manage to somehow cast the rod apart, always at the same ferrule (which is the first one up from the reel). I do a ton of roll casting fishing Helton and, especially when it is windy, I really have to put some wrist into the cast if you know what I mean. This past weekend this happened to me twice.

I almost always have two flies tied on with at least a little weight. I'm wondering if I might need a heavier rod or maybe upsize my fly line as I have seen suggested (MORE TACKLE!). Does this happen to others, or am I developing a major flaw in my roll casting? I am slightly concerned about watching half my not-inexpensive rod float down Helton Creek and into the New River never to be seen again.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...
    dbeam likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Put a little bees wax on the ferrule.

NIGHT CREW
    Fish for em now, Sleep with em later.

I second waxing the ferrells. Also, I usually seat each ferrell with a quarter turn, always in the same direction. That seems to make them seat more firmly.

If it has happened several times on the same ferrell, there may be some damage from the seperations. See Richard. I hear he as a fly rod or two for sale!
    ChltBnks, and rmhpmi like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Full disclosure, this particular ferrule has been twice-repaired under warranty. I actually thought ferrule wax was intended to make separation easier so had not been using it. Thanks for the feedback!

As my buddy said, I alway have rods for sale....and will be happy to assist in that regard.

I agree with waxing the ferrule...maybe a little paraffin or candle wax....not too much...just to decrease, perhaps, the tolerances. A quarter twist is also a good option....just don't overdo it...then taking apart the sections can be the next challenge.

Sometimes the sections just do not fit really well and there is movement--sometimes called a "rock" or "cricket". I have seen this in brand new rods. But, what I typically see is that overly aggressive, jerky, casting motions perhaps can cause the ferrules to loosen...as opposed to a smooth acceleration to a sudden stop. I think it happens to all of us at one time or another, even on expensive rods.... Maybe a little grit, dust or dirt prevents the ferrule from seating properly and an occasional wipe of the area may help. On a long day, I will periodically look at guide alignment and give the ferrules a light test "snug"...just to be sure. Certainly, if it works loose it can break a section off the male portion of the ferrule.

I don't know that overlining is an answer...although it could certainly help with loading/flexing the rod at shorter casting distances and reduce the amount of arm and wrist effort. I don't think there is anything wrong with overlining and it can certainly help in delivery of flies at shorter distances. I have frequently over- lined 2,3 and even 4 line weights....and it can work surprisingly well especially if you have a fast action/stiff Rod.
    Fly2bTied, and rmhpmi like this.

Richard
    CarolinaMountainSports.com
    Statesville, NC 704 871-1444

I bet you a wrap or two of some kind of tape around the insert-end of the rod piece could do the trick too. Just to make it a hair thicker so it fits more snug.

Richard, nothing personal here but I think I will try some $5.50 ferrule wax first. I know you understand However, I do think a slightly heavier rod is in my future and CMS will be the ONLY shop for me (MORE TACKLE!).

This past weekend was very windy and I was indeed being overly aggressive, jerky, and quick. My casting wasn't much better either (thank you, I'll be here all week...). I probably should have been using at least a 5wt rod in all that wind, especially when I had it loaded up with two heavy nymphs and two or three split-shot.

I'm hoping to get back up Helton this weekend, will see how it goes.

You might google Lefty Kreh tips for loose ferrules to see what pops up.

Are you using a 4 wt? I can't recall. I have had customers to realize a 4 was lighter than they liked when casting 2 flies, shot and an indicator. I was very fond of a 6 wt...and preferred it over my 5... Then decided to shift back to the 5 and give it a try. After several months...I am probably shifting back to the 6. But, it all depends on the rod etc.

Recently loaned a customer my 6wt line to try on his 5 wt. (a Royal Wulff Nymph taper/line which excels at roll casting) and he liked the uplining....
    Richard

There is a magic length for roll casting that is unique to each rod and type of line that you have on it. It's meaningless to try to generalize what weight line or what taper because there are so many different lengths of head and belly to fly lines these days. DTs supposedly roll cast better, but that generalization falls apart like a one handed double haul at most practical distances. But you can find the ideal roll casting distance for the line you are using. First, ensure that the larger diameter of the belly is at your rod tip and not the running line. The small diameter of the running line will not transfer the energy to the tip of the line & leader. If you are using a WF line, that distance will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 - 40 feet. Experiment a little. Roll casting is notorious for separating ferrules because most casters (including myself) tend to "over-snap" on the forward stroke instead of using the rod and line properly and letting them do the work. You run a danger of damaging or breaking your rod at the ferrule when that happens, so check your ferrules regularly and X 4 on waxing with paraffin or beeswax. Good luck!

Richard, I have an 8.5' 4wt Orvis Access rod. The line is also Orvis, described as weight forward with a mid-length head. As bmac correctly says, this combo is great up to certain distances, and I would have to say 35-40 feet or so seems about right, depending on what rig I am chucking. I am not using an indicator very often but even having two flies and a couple of shot tied on seems to over-match this combo, especially if wind is present and I am trying to roll cast too far.

The solution, obviously, is to significantly increase my arsenal of rod, reel and line options. I feel a trip to Statesville is in my near future, pending the necessary credit limit increase.

NIGHT CREW
    Fish for em now, Sleep with em later.

some good info and insight on that rod building forum. Although from 2002, I suspect it is still valid. I didn't recognize the names that said they were manufacturers. Tom Kirkman, I believe, is the driving force behind the annual rod building show in NC and avid kayak angler....
    Richard

Opinions on using wax seem varied reading through the other posts. I certainly am not going to shorten the male ferrule. Way beyond my skillset. U40 Ferrule Lube available at the shop Richard? Looks like that is worth a try, or I could just stop casting like a ferret choking on a Ritz cracker...

Ferrule Ferret?....say that 3 times fast... alas, the choking on a Ritz has been etched into my memory

Regrets....I do not carry that...and don't have a dealer or distributor that does. Apparently Orvis sells a lube....and Loon produces a ferrule lube. But, the U40 should be available from Mud Hole...mud
    hole.com I believe....a big rod building supplies dealer.
    rmhpmi likes this.

Richard

Use paraffin wax. If that doesn't solve your problem, use superglue.

Then go buy yourself a high end two handed spey rod that you can roll cast across the lower Neuse
    rmhpmi likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast