NC Angler Forums banner

Guarding the beds

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  peanut 
#1 ·
Hit the local pond to find the males all over the beds. Picked off 6 in the 3-4 range. Zoom worms and lizards and then realized at the end that the ned rig is one of the best options for bed fishing. They could not handle it standing there on the nests.

Almost picked up this stick until I saw this guy. Anyone know what kind?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I was surprised as well, but they were all over the shallow areas fanning and chasing bluegill off. They didnt spook much at all and we're pretty aggressive so i figured they were males. For various reasons, the fish tend to be pretty good sized in this pond.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I went to my cousin's private pond yesterday because of this thread. Only caught one about 5-6" long and another about 4" long on a cricket fishing for bluegills later in the day. Didn't see any activity along the edges, no white beds on the bottom, nothing. This private pond is located along 54 between Burlington and Chapel Hill. Maybe it's just got deeper water so is taking longer to warm up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.