Harris reservoir yesterday, anyone have any luck?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harris reservoir yesterday, anyone have any luck?

Default Harris reservoir yesterday, anyone have any luck?

I took my kayak out from noon to sunset, not a single fish. I have a Deeper Pro and it generally reads a high water temp since it sits on the surface, but not by more than a few degrees. Harris was reading between 72-77 yesterday, that seems insanely hot for this early. I was fishing like I would Falls, working shoreline mostly. Tried senkos, culprits, spinnerbaits, swim baits, crankbaits, lizards, craw style pit boss, etc. I've only been to Harris once and it was in the fall and I only caught one. Looking at the contours Harris is kind of weird, large flat plains then drop off, kinda like buckhorn which I also don't know how to fish.

Any advice? If you have to go out and find stuff in the middle I should maybe stick to Falls. Anyone on kayaks have luck in Harris?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have been told not to on a previous thread and experienced beating the banks at Harris is a lost cause. The only time I have much luck beating the banks there is very early before sunrise. That being said I witnessed a guy catch a 10 lb bass in the middle of the lake in the middle of summer on a swim bait.
    wademaster likes this.

Based on what I was seeing, everything was still holding in 15+ FOW a week ago. But water temps then were still in the low 60s. If you're reading low to mid 70s things are changing rapidly.

D7

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
    Any advice? If you have to go out and find stuff in the middle I should maybe stick to Falls. Anyone on kayaks have luck in Harris?
    Where do you put in and where do you go? I can likely PM you a better spot.

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie7873 View Post
    Where do you put in and where do you go? I can likely PM you a better spot.
    Welcome to the forum! Your private messaging won't be enabled until you have reached 5 posts. Just so you know.

Maybe it's changed since I lived up there but from 2010-2014 I always did very well throwing wacky rig senkos up in the grass around this time of year
    Swampin' likes this.

2016 Freshwater Fish Total: 50 Bass: 31 Biggest: 8lbLMB/13lb hybrid
    2016 Saltwater Fish Total: Biggest:

Quote Originally Posted by wademaster View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Your private messaging won't be enabled until you have reached 5 posts. Just so you know.
    Well, that's interesting. OK. Do you know the area of Harris often referred to as "The Island?"

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie7873 View Post
    Well, that's interesting. OK. Do you know the area of Harris often referred to as "The Island?"
    This is done to combat the amount of spam that is received on the forum. A member's first few posts are moderated to ensure they're a real person. Thanks.

You can get to the island in a reasonable kayak trip if you know where to put in. That area is typically good spring and summer for landing several.

Id take falls 10 times out of 10 over Harris. Too bad i live right at harris though. Might have to check out the island for the first time sunday afternoon. Maybe it will improve my opinion of the lake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NCStateFisher View Post
    Maybe it's changed since I lived up there but from 2010-2014 I always did very well throwing wacky rig senkos up in the grass around this time of year
    Yep, this time of the year typically has fish busting bait in the weeds big time. Have had many mornings of dozens of topwater hits and multiple fish in 5 - 8 lb range.
    NCStateFisher likes this.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO, Carolina Blue
    Native Ultimate 14.5. CCA Member

Thank you all, in here and in PMs I've gotten great advice. So, I told my friend about my Harris trip and it freaked him out so we went to Falls yesterday instead. We ended up catching about 15 fish between us from 2-7:30 on Friday, so it was a great trip compared to some of our fall and winter trips. Biggest was only around 4lb, but catching fish is catching fish after the fall and winter, and all mine were on 6lb flouro so it was a little more interesting. I'm going to take all this fantastic info and try Harris again this week since I'm still waiting to hear on a job. I don't think my friend will go until I have success, he is feeling dialed in for sure at Falls after our trip yesterday.

EDIT: I forgot to ask what area is referred to as "the island"? The only place I've put in is at the boat ramp, but it seems like an easy lake to find places to drop in. Any advice on better places would be appreciated. I know that one of my advantages is ability to launch anywhere, so I always try and exploit that to reach fish boaters can't safely reach.
    wademaster likes this.

I was thinking of hitting Falls this evening but since Harris is only 20 miles away I chose the latter. For my efforts not a single fish. Man I dislike that lake!

There appears to be a launch spot for kayaks and canoes at the bridge, does anyone know if this is or is not officially allowed? I see it clearly on google maps, but didn't know if maybe people just park there to run or hike.

Quote Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
    There appears to be a launch spot for kayaks and canoes at the bridge, does anyone know if this is or is not officially allowed? I see it clearly on google maps, but didn't know if maybe people just park there to run or hike.
    If you are referring to the big bridge on new hill holleman, yes, prople park there all the time and ive never seen any issues. There is a no parking sign on the park side of the bridge though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast