Attention Fish Face Hole Pokers! Can I ask a few questions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention Fish Face Hole Pokers! Can I ask a few questions?

Default Attention Fish Face Hole Pokers! Can I ask a few questions?

Hello all... really appreciate the registration to the board.

I'm actually from VA... but I couldn't find a board with as much participation as this one so I joined here. In addition, I have family in Brevard NC and will be doing more fishing there so I thought this might be the place for some "inside info". Ha!

I've been trying to get my son (9 years old) to become more social and interact with people we meet when we fish so I urge him to ask people we meet who have been "poking holes in fish faces" for along time.. especially the old timers who always seem to get fish on the line when others struggle.... some simple questions to break the ice and start up conversations. I'll ask the group a couple of questions he's been asking them.

#1 What's the one item you absolutely can't stand to leave the house and forget when it comes to fishing? Strike the obvious ones like your rod, your boat, etc. LOL!!! What item or tool?

#2 What's the one item you've wished you had while on a fishing trip. The item you always seem to run out of, lose, or wish you could find in your tackle box but can't.

#3 What's the one item you'll buy extra of at the Outdoors store just to make sure you have it when you need it?

Looking forward to hearing from every one. Tight Lines everyone!
    dbeam, and JBassAssassin like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum!
    dbeam likes this.

#1-----my wallet, with my fishing license and ramp fee money in it.

#2-----my lunch and snacks

#3-----this is a tie between 1/8 oz jig heads and 1/4 oz spinner-type baits

Much luck getting your son to join in the conversations!
    dbeam likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

#1 My Pliers and or hook sharpener

#2 On the very rare occasion I use it... bait

#3 Duo-locks & Hooks
    dbeam likes this.

NIGHT CREW
    Fish for em now, Sleep with em later.

Welcome aboard!
    1. Line cutter, Power-Pro is tough stuff!
    2. I agree with ChlttBnks, seldom use it, but bait is a valuable commodity when you need it.
    3. Gotta be plastic paddle tails... can never have too many!!
    dbeam likes this.

Good things come to those who bait...
    Kevin,
    Proud Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

-1- Sunglasses

-2- Bait

-3- Appropriate hooks for the occasion
    dbeam likes this.

1 NET
    2 foodstuffs
    3 paddlerZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dbeam likes this.

Jacob
    Red X Angler

Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

1. Positive attitude. Every trip I take I fully believe that I'm going to catch a new personal best. I fish every cast like I'm going to catch a trophy.

2. I don't think it exists because of number 3.

3. I buy multiples of everything. If I like a crankbait enough to buy one of them, I buy 3...

Hello, my name is trigger and I am a tackleholic....
    dbeam, GreyGhost, kevcoachk, and wademaster like this.

Toilet paper for 1 2 and 3 ... gotta be prepared when the ole brown trout decides it wants to try and jump in the lake.

1. Sun glasses. I cant fish without them. They help me see in the water, keep the wind and bugs out of my eyes running down the lake and provide eye protection while fishing.

2. Energy... for the boat or myself. Cant run around where you need to go without gas, cant cover water with dead trolling motor batteries and have no focus or endurance unless your body is fed and hydrated. I tend to always run out of time too.

3. Hooks. Having sharp hooks is a pet peeve of mine. A rolled point, hook bent slightly out of shape or just plain dull will make you lose a bunch of fish. I carry plenty of hooks including treble hooks for my hard baits. If there is any suspicion that the hook is less than perfect I change it.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Sunscreen and bug spray.
    dbeam, and wademaster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ncdead View Post
    Sunscreen and bug spray.
    I'm amazed how similar your answers have been. These two seem to me universal. Sunglasses appear to be another big one.

When my son asks... with my urging... I'm always amazed how many people say something along the lines of a positive attitude that they're going to catch fish that day.

What do you guys think...... does a positive attitude or mental picture of catching fish play a role in your fishing trip?
    dbeam likes this.

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by High&Tight View Post

What do you guys think...... does a positive attitude or mental picture of catching fish play a role in your fishing trip?
    Of course. Big time.
    dbeam, High&Tight, and kevcoachk like this.

For me, I am confident I will catch a fish on every cast. That makes me ready and keeps me looking for the next cast. Always positive! Makes for a great day, no matter the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

I'm amazed how similar your answers have been. These two seem to me universal. Sunglasses appear to be another big one.

When my son asks... with my urging... I'm always amazed how many people say something along the lines of a positive attitude that they're going to catch fish that day.

I try my best to start every fishing trip in a positive frame of mind, believing I'm going to catch my PB fish that day. Of course it rarely works out that way, but that is why I keep going back.

You don't have to really remember to "bring" a good attitude but it can be way too easy to get frustrated when the fish aren't cooperating, especially for kids.

Yes....a positive attitude is key. Sometimes you get out there and just feel it's going to happen. Other times you are distracted by this or that and it doesn't flow. I've noticed that over the years. You have your head in the right place. Odd thing that.
    dbeam likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast