Motorized Kayak Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorized Kayak Question

Default Motorized Kayak Question

Hello

I'm setting up a Saltwater fishing Kayak. I recently purchased a FeelFree 13.5 Lure and done a few upgrades and one of the up coming one is a motor. I was thinking on going with a 2.5 Suzuki Outboard 4 stroke side mount with a Minn Kota on the opposit side or a transom mount trolling motor. Well this is my dilemma, I need some one that uses a transom mount trolling motor to tell me how much running time can you get out of battery and if is consistent. Of course it all depends on the weight and water conditions obviously.
    basswrangler, and mikegeiger3 like this.

Always kiss your favorite lure before you cast cause you may never see it again.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't use one (thank God, healthy enough not to need one)... But it depends on your battery, the type of motor, the conditions, and what speed you run it at. From reports on the nucanoe site, using the variable speed motor is better than the standard 1-5 speed motor. If you run about medium speeds, syou should be able to get 5 hours or so out of a marine battery, or so they report.

Hopefully, you are a small guy... you're adding a crap load of weight to a kayak with a 500 lb weight limit. That sounds like 200 lbs of motors batteries, gas, etc. Your gear, you, a paddle, a cooler, etc... pretty fully loaded.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Run time for a trolling motor will depend on many conditions such as the weight of the boat when its loaded to fish, wind, current, size of motor, what battery you choose etc. Also you will have to keep the boat registered with the state if you intend to fish public waters with a motorized kayak.

First I've ever heard of an outboard on a kayak and would seem counter productive and a little dangerous to me.
    Ncrdablross, and wademaster like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Nukes are rated for them up to 2.5 HP, and the Lures are supposed to be big and slow too, so I'm not surprised that someone wants to do it. Need good mounting.

I don't think the Lures are rated for them though... Could well be a safety/liability issue... just because it CAN be done doesn't mean that it SHOULD be done.
    bwguffey likes this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

I agree that a yak may be a little small for both gas motor and trolling motor. But to answer your question, I run a 35lb thrust minn-kota (basic 5 speed model), and ive run my battery for 2 1/2 hrs without it dying (it was running weak), but don't know how much was left. Also, I rarely run on 5th speed, as that will kill the battery much much faster.

The battery I run is really small (25lbs):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Spymaster, and wademaster like this.

The FeelFree Kayak 13.5 Lure is a very confortable and has lots of room but is a "COW" that's the reason for the motor, I have taken it out in the Florida Keys right up to the edge of the reef to blue waters and drift fish with it but we all know how the weather changes and boy when I say a COW I really mean it. I'm very please with the Yak because I knew what I wanted to do with it from the get go. I do not mine to paddle but I much rather spend more time fishing instead.
    Always kiss your favorite lure before you cast cause you may never see it again.

I have spent a few days learning some hard lessons about fighting the wind and tides and felt like I was doing far more paddling than fishing. My problem is disposable income...mount, motor, battery, etc...

My wife seems to think it is more important to have money for trivial things like feeding our kids...they don't look like they are starving to me...
    Mike333h, Pinoy Angler, and Spymaster like this.

Check out Key West Kayak Fishing on YouTube. He runs a 2.5 Suzuki on his Hobie. I'm just gonna throw my two cents in by saying in MY opinion if you have the outboard then there's zero need for the TM. If you need to troll, let it idle. It's not like you're putting a 225 on it. An idle will treat you well. I spent last week at Geiger Key Marina with our yaks and my wife has now instituted a 3 year plan for moving down there. I'm horribly against moving to fishermans paradise. *sarcasm*
    GreyGhost, and Spymaster like this.

There is a Geiger Key??

Jon boats are nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    wademaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegeiger3 View Post
    There is a Geiger Key??
    Yessir. I noticed your name lol
    mikegeiger3 likes this.

I happen to correspond with him. I fish that area specially at Geiger Key. Nice place to launch.
    I know I can set up an Outboard motor on my Kayak, but my question here was if any one could tell me how much time will a decent size battery will last on a trolling motor just to see if it was worth it to me to use a transom mount TM or if I just kept my thoughts on an outboard.

Been there and done that, I feel you. Like I always tell my son if I want to do some Kayaking I do not mind the paddling but when I'm going fishing I don't want to spend half the day doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
    I happen to correspond with him. I fish that area specially at Geiger Key. Nice place to launch.
    I know I can set up an Outboard motor on my Kayak, but my question here was if any one could tell me how much time will a decent size battery will last on a trolling motor just to see if it was worth it to me to use a transom mount TM or if I just kept my thoughts on an outboard.
    Whatever your trolling motor is, there should be a section in the owners manual or available online that will show you the Amp draw. That'll typically be the max draw. So if it's 15ah draw and a 45ah battery you know you'll have roughly 3hrs at max thrust in a perfect scenario.
    wademaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
    Been there and done that, I feel you. Like I always tell my son if I want to do some Kayaking I do not mind the paddling but when I'm going fishing I don't want to spend half the day doing that.
    And I see my comprehension was lacking. I read that as you already had the gas engine and wanted to add the TM. My apologies.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast