Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to clean and cook redfish

Cool Best way to clean and cook redfish

Pierman
    You seem to be the premier redfish expert around here, so I hear Are reds good to eat? I have cooked many a trout but never a red. I actually have a slot fish in the freezer but havent cooked it yet. Are they ok to freeze or must eat fresh, how long? What is the best way to clean, filet or scale and clean? What is the best way to cook the fish?

kaleb5000

I know im not NCpierman. But i usually fillet them leaving the scale and skin on and grill scales down obviously. Before grilling all i do is soak them in lemon juice and put some salt and pepper on them. Its simple and easy thats mainly why i do it this way, there are alot of ways as im sure you are about to find out on this thread

island man,
    man if ya never had a red your in for a great meal,there is several ways to cook them as ya can already tell.
    i have 3 ways i like them,first and foremost i like em chunked and deep fryed in house autry seafood breader, my second way is fryed in butter and onion with some garlic and season all salt.
    then scott hobbs showed me how to bake em with fresh basil onion and butter.
    they are better fresh but they hold good in the freezer as well the fillets are very thick to the point you can cut one fillet in 2 and actually get 4 fillets from one 25 inch fish
    i do my cleaning different than most and some would say its harder my way but im used to it and can clean a few drum in just a short time.
    i take my drum and cut behind the gills from the top of the head down,(i dont gut them ) then i slide my knife tip down the spine under the skin all the way to the tail and kinda skin like a deer,skin it down to the bottom of the belly and cut off the meat without the bones,the chest bones and ribs are very thick and unless you have a really good knife and razor sharp there hard to cut and youll be sharpening alot,so i just start the meat from the back down and cut off from ribs,you loose some meat from the ribs but not alot.
    another way i like my drum is in a foil pack on the grill sautaed with italian dressing take a whole 10 to 15 minutes more like steamed fish,very juicy and delicious.
    im sure more folks will jump in with other ways to cook em but those are my favorite,cant beat chunked house autry drum top pics is chunked drum in house autry and hush puppy's the bottom pic is drum baked in a foil pack with basil and onion

red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

10-4 but thats actually fresh Rosemary... wasn't much left that day..

This meal was cooked after a meet and greet on the Queen. Some of the folks that attended
    went over to Tims (pierman) house and we went to cooking..us poor fishermen were famished
    from a hard day on the water...

You will find that the scales on these fish are very hard to scale off and so its easier to fillet the
    whole side off and then cut the meat off of the skin side....or cook it and then just roll the skin
    with scales off the meat.

Great cooked anyway you like...

<*)))))>{

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Blog Entries

Here's how I do it:

Make a shallow cut in the skin (moving scales out of the way as needed) the way around one side of the fish in the outline of the fillets, be sure not to cut too deep. Using a pair of pliers (regular one will work but the catfish skinning ones are best) grab a piece of skin near the head and pull the skin and scales away from the flesh, continue till complete. The skin peels away fairly easily and the flesh will stay on the bone. Now fillet the fish off the bone in the normal manner. Now repeat on the other side.

To me this is much easier than trying to scale the fish (you need a hoe) and also keeps those messy scales out of my grill.
    tarheel fly flinger likes this.

Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

your very correct scott that was from the first get together on the creek and what a day it was plenty of fish caught that day from drum to black drum to flounder and a few rescues to boot

sorry for the mix up on the herbs your right they were rosemary again thanks for bringing them it truely was awesome.

t-a
    sounds good too i never scale em just cut skin and fillet once you get use to the way i do it its natural after that and easy
    red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

Cool

Fantastic
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Cant wait to get em in the pan.

BTW I tried scaling one once, suckers were flying 20 ft lol
    NCPIERMAN, and tarheel fly flinger like this.

careful with those scales you can hurt somone good lol

Blog Entries

Tim - you and I do 'em the same way except I take the skin off. This is especially useful if you are going to make a stew or chowder with the meat.
    NCPIERMAN, and tarheel fly flinger like this.

Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

t-a,
    i never cook em with the skin on i love red drum baked like that in a foil pack steams in the goodness )

They are great in a fish stew, an old time down east recpt.

2- red fillets
    1- cup OJ
    1- tb saffron

marinate 6 hrs in a ziplock vac pack
    fry in virgin olive oil on cast iron skillet till done evenly flipping top with lemon zest, or so I have been told!
    RED X ANGLER (Okinawa Detachment) Just a pier cart, till I get back

Yummy, all this sounds good to me. I was one of the lucky ones who went with Tim and Scott, and a few other that day at Queen's on the meet and greet. I wne to Tim's and had the feast with them. Everything was so good.
    I read somewhere where someone was using a mule, or horse curry brush to get the scales off, but the skinning sounds good to me. Those scales will fly everywhere.
    neo19672000 likes this.

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler
    US Armed Services Veteran

can't leave out blackened. I really like it blackened, just make sure you cook it outside or your house might permanently smell like fish.
    DBank likes this.

Angler Member
    US Armed Services Veteran

Default Oh Yeah... can't forget the blackened

GR, I was wondering how long it be before someone mentioned the best (IMHO) way to cook redfish. And you are correct in stating either do it outside or somewhere that you have an industrial strength range hood! I adopted chef Paul Prudhomme's recipe. It is too lengthy to list it all here, but, trust me - it is fantastic. BTW, Prudhomme is credited with, if not creating the original recipe, at least bringing it to the national and international menu. Of course this also attributed to the near demise of the redfish by overfishing in the late 80's and early 90's. (All this because a fat guy wanted something good to eat!) But, alas, the fad passed, we took steps to save our beloved redfish, and the world is right at the end of the day......
    Every day's a holiday and every meal's a feast!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast