Long time fisherman but new to Kayak. getting first Kayak
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long time fisherman but new to Kayak. getting first Kayak

Default Long time fisherman but new to Kayak. getting first Kayak

Hello, I am buying my first kayak for fishing and just want to get some input before I do. Im not looking to spend too much so Im looking at the Old Town Vapor and the Emotion Stealth 11 Angler. I have not done much research so if there is another one in that price range that might be better than please let me know. Im leaning towards the Old town vapor, is that a good boat? I'll be fishing lakes mostly. Also, what is the reason that one would fish with a kayak when you could use a canoe like a Old Town small canoe? I was also thinking of just getting a canoe since I grew up fishing on canoe's and they did the job fine. Whats the main reason that one would fish from Kayak as opposed to a small canoe? Thank you in advance for any info and recomandations!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I just made a post a few days ago about some decent looking fishing kayaks Wal Mart has on sale. They are sit on top and what you want for fishing. The old town vapor is a sit inside I believe. I wouldn't buy a kayak less than 12 feet long. You say why would you fish from a kayak when you could fish from a canoe? I would say why fish from a canoe when sit on top fishing kayaks with rods holders etc are available?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    GreyGhost, and Guffins Bay like this.

I definitely like the idea of rod holders. I'll check out your post about the ones at Wal-mart. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

I'm with roostertail on this one definitely a kayak for the rod holders. If you plan on using a fish finder or anchor this would be another reason I would go with the kayak. If for some reason you should flip the kayak going to be easier to get back on plus you won't have any water to drain with a sit on top kayak.
    Guffins Bay likes this.

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14
    2017 Nucanoe Frontier 10 Cyan/Storm

Thank you. I was looking at the Old Town Vapor but it is not a sit on top. From the sounds of it, the sit on top is the way to go. I want to be able to stand up and fish. The sit on top is probably the best for that right?

And part of the reason that I was looking at the Old Town Vapor is because it has the anchor system. The Emotion Stealth does not have the anchor system. Im thinking the anchor is very important with kayak fishing.

I would think about the areas you are trying to fish. How far will you have to carry the kayak? How far do you plan on paddling? What conditions will you be out in? Do you want to stand and fish? I had a 12' Wilderness Systems Tarpon kayak that was great. I could sit in it for several hours, I got stuck in some rough weather and was fine, but paddling 30 or 40 minutes to a fishing spot had me looking at a Tarpon 140 or Tarpon 160 real quick. Of course budget is also a big consideration. I am fortunate enough to have a boat now, but if I went back to a kayak, I would probably go with a Tarpon 140. A 16' kayak is a beast to carry if you aren't launching from a ramp.

Weight was my number one concern, followed by price, then features. I am cartopping a Perception Pescador pro 120 on a Subaru WRX, so this at around 50lbs and a removal seat made it perfect for me. Just the other day I left my 7ah battery in it and it made it very hard to get started, just with a few extra pounds. If I had to do it again, I'd have spent more for one I could stand in. I sometimes think I really want pedal drive, but I really only mind it when I try and go far at Harris. People can stand in my kayak, but not 6ft 220lb people that are nearly 40.

If you want to stand and fish you are going to want a sit on top 33 inches wide or wider. Keep in mind this will be a slower kayak.

What is your size? Your size is the #1 factor in whether a kayak is right for you. Something that fits Roostertail24 would not suit a behemoth like me.

My son is selling his Field & Stream Eagle Talon with paddle, anchor trolley, and upgraded seat for $400. It has a list price of $599, but frequently on sale for $549. He stands on it, but it's not best for standing. However, it will help you learn if a kayak if for you. He is selling it because he is getting too tall for it, it's not good for people over 6'1" or so, but those below 6' it is a stable ride that tracks fairly well, but is "medium" speed or so.
    roostertail24 likes this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Another thing is is that if you are serious about kayak fishing do your research and be willing to spend a little more if you really want to enjoy it. If you just want it for a 3 acre farm pond than your probably fine goin cheap. Keep in mind that you can get a fine name brand kayak with a comfortable seat and lots of storage for the money some of these guys have in 1 powerpole anchor. Just to put things in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by roostertail24 View Post
    Another thing is is that if you are serious about kayak fishing do your research and be willing to spend a little more if you really want to enjoy it. If you just want it for a 3 acre farm pond than your probably fine goin cheap. Keep in mind that you can get a fine name brand kayak with a comfortable seat and lots of storage for the money some of these guys have in 1 powerpole anchor. Just to put things in perspective.

I had no idea getting a kayak was going to be a life changing event for me, so I don't think I could have had that hindsight to "spend more up front". I don't regret my purchase though, it's a good kayak and I've gotten every pennies worth out of it already.

Quote Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
    I had no idea getting a kayak was going to be a life changing event for me, so I don't think I could have had that hindsight to "spend more up front". I don't regret my purchase though, it's a good kayak and I've gotten every pennies worth out of it already.
    Really? I saw your earlier post where you stated you have a Subaru WRX? THAT would be a life changing event for me. That is until I got the first 10-20 speeding tickets. Then it would be back to the normal boring life. Those things are very quick.
    You are correct however IMO regarding the kayak. They are great to fish from and I can't see getting rid of mine OR not using it for fishing. Let me know if you even need a babysitter for the WRX. I can't guarantee it will have the same resale value upon return however.
    bwguffey likes this.

Challenger as in a Dodge 1970 T/A

Canoes are ok for fishing, and great for tripping/camping, but a properly set up kayak is hard to beat for paddle boat fishing. A good sit on top kayak can be used almost anywhere, including the ocean. I'd recommend at least a 12 footer, and make sure it has a comfortable seat and backrest.
    bwguffey likes this.

AKA: Soilman

Sit-In kayak guy's gotta weigh in some misconceptions...

You most certainly can put rod holders on a SIK, you can accessorize the living snot out of a SIK, and a SIK will both outrun and outmaneuver a SOT every single time. I'll spare myself the debate on primary/secondary stability, staying dry and keeping toasty warm, but I'll tell you these are sit-in-favorable considerations if you fish in the winter.

Clicky to see a well equipped, $300.00 Sit-Inside Fishing Kayak.

That said (us) (me?) SIK fishermen are clearly a minority and the perks of a SOT are overwhelming so I'm not pickin' a fight. But don't pooh-pooh a 33lb, cheapo sit-in if you can make it work for you.
    basswrangler, Daze823, GreyGhost, and TexRob like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast