Swansboro area

Thread: Swansboro area

Default Swansboro area

I'm thinking of putting my kayak in at the ramp near Barrier Island Kayaks. Anyone know this area? Looking at maps makes me think It would have a large variety of fish.
    bwguffey, Spider Crack, and trigger22 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Swansboro has the usual reds, trout, flounder and up the river is your bass, bream, catfish.
    bwguffey, and kiwichiwi like this.

FOR HE GAVE HIS TO SAVE MAN'S SOUL _____ I WOULD GIVE MINE TO SET MAN FREE---RED X ANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by Venom17 View Post
    Swansboro has the usual reds, trout, flounder and up the river is your bass, bream, catfish.
    Thanks! Hoping I can pull in my first Red there!
    bwguffey likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Might consider Hammocks park or Queens Creek Bridge.
    Less traffic and good fishing.
    bwguffey, and kiwichiwi like this.

Another good place is the ramp at the end of VFW road over by the Golfin Dolphin that puts you in The White Oak River area and is fairly protected from the wind. Should be some drum and flounder around that area.
    bwguffey, and Spider Crack like this.

Launching from that spot puts you near decent fishing. You might consider stopping by Barrier Island kayaks -- they used to let you park and launch there for $5 or so (in case ramp is full or inconvenient). Only real traffic issue is crossing the ICW, which you'd have to negotiate from Hammock's Beach SP as well. Make the circuit around Huggins Island (check satellite view on Google Maps/Earth) -- have caught numerous reds in that area over the years. Besides Hammock's Beach, you might also consider launching from the Shell Rock ramp, but not sure about parking there these days. You can hop across the ICW, then work up the old kayak/canoe trail to the backside of Bear Island. Just know that it gets *really* skinny in that marsh at low tide. Good luck,

Joel
    bwguffey likes this.

Always under-promise & over-deliver (Fortune Cookie)
    Native Mariner 12.5 Propel / Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Crack View Post
    Launching from that spot puts your near decent fishing. You might consider stopping by Barrier Island kayaks -- they used to let you park and launch there for $5 or so (in case ramp is full or inconvenient). Only real traffic issue is crossing the ICW, which you'd have to negotiate from Hammock's Beach SP as well. Make the circuit around Huggins Island (check satellite view on Google Maps/Earth) -- have caught numerous reds in that area over the years. Besides Hammock's Beach, you might also consider launching from the Shell Rock ramp, but not sure about parking there these days. You can hop across the ICW, then work up the old kayak/canoe trail to the backside of Bear Island. Just know that it gets *really* skinny in that marsh at low tide. Good luck,

Joel
    how strong is the current in that area?
    bwguffey likes this.

Well, strong enough that paddling against the tide will really wear you down. Best to paddle with the tide when you can. Only tide reference point is Bogue Inlet, so you have to calculate based on that. I seem to recall that Dudley's Marina is 2hrs behind BI.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris52 View Post
    how strong is the current in that area?
    Always under-promise & over-deliver (Fortune Cookie)
    Native Mariner 12.5 Propel / Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Crack View Post
    Launching from that spot puts you near decent fishing. You might consider stopping by Barrier Island kayaks -- they used to let you park and launch there for $5 or so (in case ramp is full or inconvenient). Only real traffic issue is crossing the ICW, which you'd have to negotiate from Hammock's Beach SP as well. Make the circuit around Huggins Island (check satellite view on Google Maps/Earth) -- have caught numerous reds in that area over the years. Besides Hammock's Beach, you might also consider launching from the Shell Rock ramp, but not sure about parking there these days. You can hop across the ICW, then work up the old kayak/canoe trail to the backside of Bear Island. Just know that it gets *really* skinny in that marsh at low tide. Good luck,

Joel
    That was my plan. I didn't want to go to far from that area. Planning on doing it during the week after work. I dont expect the traffic on the ICW to be to bad that late. Thank you for the tips!
    Spider Crack likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements