Thread: Rope lures for longnose gar

Default Rope lures for longnose gar

These Rope lures are made to catch Longnose Gar.

The sizes they come in are 1/8oz (5 inches long), 1/4oz (6 inches long), 1/2oz (7 inches long) and 3/8oz (8 inches long).

The leaders are made of 50lb braided line tied to a size 2 swivel with a palomar knot. Hardener has also been put on the head wrapping for the best durability.

Tips For Using Rope Lures

"You have to find the presentation that works best for you, and the water body you fish. Every Place is different. I like to bounce the lure. Be sure to dip the rope lure in the water before each cast. Doing so adds more weight, letting you cast farther.

The thing most people do wrong with rope Lures is they set the hook. There are no hooks to set in rope lures so you have to resist the urge to set the hook and just open the bail and hold the spool with your finger so the the gar does not just run away with the lure. Put pressure on the line with your finger on the spool and slowly lift up with the rod. You should feel/see the Gar try to back up and shake its head, Thats how they get there teeth hung in the rope. The Gar should now bolt away, click in the reel and begin fighting the Gar. Once the Gar is tired from the fight, put on a glove and grab the gars snout (Watch out for the teeth!!!). Or you can net the Gar.

the first one has no hooks at all

jimvision likes this.

red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

This lure was featured in the March 2007 issue of In-Fisherman as presented by New York multi-species guide--John Gaulke. The article also shows versions used by an Alabama and a Georgia guide. You can make this for cheap. Just a quick word about Mr. Gaulke---He is the best guide I have ever hired. The wife and I have been out with some really famous guides. We caught more and learned more with Mr. Gaulke than with the well known guys. He's got a really cool website too. fingerlakesanglingzone.com
    Jim

actually the pics are from another person i know marketing them and the tips are from him as well ive made them before but havent taken pics,they work very well but you have to make sure you get the whole lure out of the mouth other wise the fish can not open there jaws after release,i didnt post the website they came from for fear of stepping on the wrong toes
    jimvision likes this.

red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

It is not my intention to cause trouble. I bet the rope lure is a lot older than we are. What I was trying to express is during these tough economic times, that there is info out there for the do it yourselfer. Your right on about proper removal for successful release. Good gloves and a good jaw spreader are essential. All your info is good stuff.
    NCPIERMAN likes this.

Jim

jim no harm no foul ju7st shareing info,i knew you werent causeing trouble
    its essentail to get all the lure out of the mouth if useing these they will no be able to open there mouth to eat or breath and will die.
    jimvision likes this.

if you have the smaller spotted gar available, 2 to 3 inch versions of the rope lure work well. somewhere on Gaulke's website is a link to the gar community.
    Jim

http://garfishing.com GREAT INFO AND PICS AS WELL AS TIPS FOR ALL TYPES OF GAR
    jimvision likes this.