Trolling motor

Thread: Trolling motor

Default Trolling motor

Made my first run ever in a boat on saltwater. Whole new experience for me and has caused me make retirement a very serious and immediate consideration.
    The only major hurdle I encountered, other than the things I know its just going to take time to learn, was the trolling motor. Honestly the trolling motor was basically useless. How many folks use a trolling to fight the current and wind of saltwater? I also tried drift socks which was a laughable disaster. The only real option I found for boat control was drop and pull of the anchor. Im open to any and all suggestions and want to learn.....Thank you in advance for any response!!
    bwguffey likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hopm View Post
    ...caused me make retirement a very serious and immediate consideration.
    GIVE IN.

Quote Originally Posted by hopm View Post
    The only major hurdle I encountered, other than the things I know its just going to take time to learn, was the trolling motor. Honestly the trolling motor was basically useless. How many folks use a trolling to fight the current and wind of saltwater? I also tried drift socks which was a laughable disaster. The only real option I found for boat control was drop and pull of the anchor. Im open to any and all suggestions and want to learn.....Thank you in advance for any response!!
    I'm not a saltwater guy but I'm a trolling fanatic. I can tell you a T/M has it's place, but has limitations too as you've discovered. There are 10,001 variables that might have been the problem here and you're a little light on details.... Actual wind conditions? Inshore or offshore? Swells? Boat and T/M description?

Wish I could help more and I'm interested in what others suggest. Lately I'm starting to get the hots for some inshore action myself

My father in law got a new Minn Kota trolling motor and it's pretty cool. Here's a couple videos of one of the type he got.

The spot lock button on these is what you want. go to 3:08 on the video.
    <a href="https://youtu.be/f4A94DBU5Ms" target="_blank">

It makes it easy to launch the boat too.

Just don't forget to turn it on when you get to the ramp if you're going to use it to launch the boat or you'll be swimming to your boat.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Two ideas for you that will depend on the conditions. Go with the flow: position yourself upwind or upcurrent of where you want to fish and drift along through your spot only using the trolling motor to align your boat or slightly adjust your position. Get a shallow water anchor pin either the manual type like a Stick-it, or power version like a powerpole, both options are faster to deploy and quieter than a traditional anchor.
    Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

With a trolling motor my rule of thumb is get the most thrust you can... its better to have power and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. I run a 36V Minn Kota with 112 lbs of thrust on my 21 ft bass boat. It will hold or move my boat in more wind or current than I care to fish in. If you are fishing in choppy water you also need to consider shaft length as well, gotta keep the prop in the water.
    quest4reds likes this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements