Heading to lake fontana and then blairsville ga--advice please - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heading to lake fontana and then blairsville ga--advice please

Quote Originally Posted by bfishy View Post
    I don't know why they would care if Kokanee spawned in the park. The trout would feast on eggs and fry every year. It would likely help both the native brookies and the spawning rainbow/brown populations. If they ever for some reason returned all the reservoirs to rivers, the kokes would die off anyway.

As for cold deep water, I wonder if there is enough oxygen down there and if the bluebacks would be in the cooler parts of the lakes where the lakers would be.
    The Park Service is generally against "invasive species"....but who knows in this case?

I think that one of the reason Lakers grow slower is that they can get by on lower oxygen. They're very evolved away from the other Char despite that they can spawn with other Char, if they don't eat them...

There's a subspecies of Brook Trout called Sunapee Troeralut (also called Blueback Trout and several other names). Sunapee Trout were first identified in Sunapee Lake, in New Hampshire. Long ago, somebody thought it would be a good idea to import Lake Trout into Sunapee Lake. It didn't take long for the Lakers to breed and eat them out. There's a somewhat happy ending. Idaho and New Hampshire had traded eggs at some point and the Sunapee Lake strain was discovered in two Idaho lakes back in 1977. They can't be put back in Lake Sunapee because of the continuing presence of Lake Trout. Blueback/Sunapee Trout are barely hanging on in about 10 ponds and small lakes in it's native range, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bfishy View Post
    I don't know why they would care if Kokanee spawned in the park. The trout would feast on eggs and fry every year. It would likely help both the native brookies and the spawning rainbow/brown populations....
    There wouldn't be any affect on the native Brook Trout. Have you been to a Brookie stream that you couldn't easily jump over? Salmon would never get near them. These little streams are far from the lake and shallow. It would help the fish at lower altitudes. Rainbows are just wired to chase eggs. I wonder if Bears would find the Salmon?

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12