NC Angler Forums banner

Hello All in WNC

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  dbeam 
#1 ·
Hello to all: Originally from northern panhandle W.V. Having spent the last 35yrs in South Florida and finally the wife and I have been blessed to relocate to the mountains of N.C. - reckon that makes me a half back. I feel like I'm 'back home' however and neither my mrs nor myself can imagine ever leaving! Fear not I don't drive the straight parts like a madman and the curves at 10ml and hour! I have acclimated to the roads fairly well and winter is not too cold lol

I didn't fish much in W.V. But did go to Canada in the summers w grandpa when I was a kid. We primarily fished top water for smallies and trolled for walleye. I don't miss much of S. Florida other than family, friends, our church home and the fishing. I was an inshore back country guy primarily seeking snook which is pretty much like a bass on steroids. So, now I need to learn how to fish these waters w a preference for lake fishing though I'm anxious to try some trout streams as well. Will need all the help I can get!

First question is how in the world can I get hold of a contour map of lake Santeelah? Looked all over on line and fear one may not exist.

#5 ·
Thanks for the kind welcome y'all! I am grateful to be here. Nice red NCangler! Thanks and no worries greyghost - I'm starting to think one doesn't even exist. Daze: I hear ya! Took me a couple years to get a transfer. Darn near started looking for another job but I have over ten years tenure so thank God it finally happened. But hey, you might not be 'in' the mountains but your a heck of a lot closer than S. Florida!

#8 ·
Where in S FL are you from? My last house was in Plantation, but I also lived in Dania Beach for awhile.

And are are you know near Asheville or further north near Boone? I have family that lives in Lake Toxaway that I will probably be visiting this summer and will be planning a day of fishing to coincide with that visit.

and yes, a heck o a lot closer to the mountains now.. Used to be at most once every two years to visit, and now I've been twice in the last two months :)

#10 ·
Welcome to NCA...Santeelah is a good lake, better by boat but you can fish from the bank and fish the creeks that feed the lake. Joyce Kilmer road intersects NC143 which will take you all the way around the lake and cross many of the creeks that feed the lake. Word of caution some of the holes are very deep so watch your step if you fish them. They are also trout waters and require a NC Trout Stamp in addition to your license. If you fish the lake by boat stop and get some live minnows, they work in all the mountain lakes, period. Good luck let us know how you do.

#11 ·
Hey daze - I lived in Homestead - mostly fished Flamingo; back country in winter - flats in the summer. I'm in Fairview now - about 1/2 hr outside of Asheville. I haven't heard of lake toxaway - looks a little over an hour or so away. Good fishing?

Took wife out to Lake James yesterday just to look around. Between the heat and Mosquitos she never got into camping down south but loves it up here. It will take me a while to get a boat as I need something more than the 4 cylinder Mazda to pull it though fortunately I do still have my mercury 25hp. Lake James has boat in camping - sounds like a sweet way to spend a cpl few days: fish, eat, sleep, repeat!

#12 ·
@ dpmk: yea - wont have a boat for a while but it is beautiful out there. Family and I went 'sissy' camping at Cheoah point. Definitely the type place I like to hang out. Will obviously like it better with a boat ; )

@ lgh: Thanks! Much appreciated. I heard Cheoah river holds smallies and trout and is good for wade fishing(?) Any of the feeder creeks hold better than others?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.